Characterization of the complete mitochondrial genome of Rhinogobius leavelli (Perciformes: Gobiidae: Gobionellinae) and its phylogenetic analysis for Gobionellinae
- 69 Downloads
Freshwater Gobionellinae fish Rhinogobius leavelli is a common small-bodied species, distributed in eastern Asia. Information about genetic characteristics of Rhinogobius fish had been published only for five species, and there were still no relevant reports on R. leavelli. In the present study, the complete mitochondrial genome of R. leavelli was determined, which was 16,499 bp in length with A + T content of 52.5%, consisting of 13 protein-coding genes, 2 ribosomal RNAs, 22 tRNAs, and a control region. The gene composition and the structural arrangement of the R. leavelli complete mtDNA were identical to other Rhinogobius species and most of other teleosts. Phylogenetic analyses placed R. leavelli in a well-supported monophyletic cluster with the other five Rhinogobius species in Gobionellinae and the phylogenetic position of Rhinogobius was closer to Tridentiger.
KeywordsRhinogobius leavelli Gobionellinae Mitochondrial genome Phylogenetic
We are grateful for our crew help in collecting specimens. This work was supported by the research start-up fund of the Chongqing Normal University (Nos. 18XLB007).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
Experiments were performed in accordance with the recommendations of the Ethics Committee of the Chongqing Normal University (CNU). These policies were enacted according to the Chinese Association for the Laboratory Animal Sciences and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) protocols.
- Castresana J (2000) Selection of conserved blocks from multiple alignments for their use in phylogenetic analysis. Mol Biol Evol 17:540–552. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.molbev.a026334 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chen Y (1998) Zhongguo dong wu zhi. Ying gu yu gang. Li xing mu, Ke xue chu ban she: Xin hua shu dian. Beijing fa xing suo fa xing, BeijingGoogle Scholar
- Froese R, Pauly D (2018) FishBase, World Wide Web electronic publication. http://www.fishbase.org/search.php
- Gong L, Lü ZM, Guo BY, Ye YY, Liu LQ (2017) Characterization of the complete mitochondrial genome of the tidewater goby, Eucyclogobius newberryi (Gobiiformes; Gobiidae; Gobionellinae) and its phylogenetic implications. Conserv Genet Resour 10:1–5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12686-017-0772-7 Google Scholar
- Hall TA (1999) BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser 41:95–98Google Scholar
- He Y, Jones J, Armstrong M, Lamberti F, Moens M (2005) The mitochondrial genome of Xiphinema americanum sensu stricto (Nematoda: Enoplea): considerable economization in the length and structural features of encoded genes. J Mol Evol 61:819. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00239-005-0102-7 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Miya M, Takeshima H, Endo H, Ishiguro NB, Inoue JG, Mukai T, Satoh TP, Yamaguchi M, Kawaguchi A, Mabuchi K, Shirai SM, Nishida M (2003) Major patterns of higher teleostean phylogenies: a new perspective based on 100 complete mitochondrial DNA sequences. Mol Phylogenet Evol 26:121–138. https://doi.org/10.1016/s1055-7903(02)00332-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moritz C, And TED, Brown WM (1987) Evolution of animal mitochondrial DNA: relevance for population biology and systematics. Annu Rev Ecol Syst 18:269–292. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.es.18.110187.001413 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oh J, Kim TW, Kim S (2015) The complete mitochondrial genome of Chaenogobius gulosus (Gobiidae, Perciformes) from the South Sea, Korea. DNA Seq 27(1). https://doi.org/10.3109/19401736.2015.1022742
- Shen Y, Kou Q, Zhong Z, Li X, He L, He S, Gan X (2017b) The first complete mitogenome of the South China deep-sea giant isopod Bathynomus sp. (Crustacea: Isopoda: Cirolanidae) allows insights into the early mitogenomic evolution of isopods. Ecol Evol 7:1869–1881. https://doi.org/10.1002/ece3.2737 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhong L, Wang M, Li D, Tang S, Zhang T, Bian W, Chen X (2018) Complete mitochondrial genome of freshwater goby Rhinogobius cliffordpopei (Perciformes, Gobiidae): genome characterization and phylogenetic analysis. Genes Genom 40:1137–1148. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13258-018-0669-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar