Three new species of Digenea (Batrachotrematidae) in Nanorana minica (Anura, Dicroglossidae) from Uttarakhand, India
Three new species of batrachotrematid trematodes from the small paa frog, Nanorana minica, collected in Uttarakhand, India are described and illustrated: Batrachotrema korbaensis sp. nov., Opisthioparorchis dehradunensis sp. nov. and Opisthioparorchis nanoranae sp. nov. The new species are assigned to genera based on presence or absence of cuticular spines; absent in Batrachotrema, present in Opisthioparorchis. Five species are assigned to Batrachotrema, which are separated by position of genital pore, location of testes and host; B. korbaensis differs from previously described species in that it is the only species from an anuran host with testes in the 4th quarter of the body. Ten species are assigned to Opisthioparorchis, which are separated by testes position, extent of vitellaria, and oral sucker-acetabulum ratio. O. nanoranae sp. nov. is the only species possessing tandem testes. Two species, O. dehradunensis sp. nov. and O. yaanensis, possess oblique testes, the remaining 7 species have symmetrical testes. Opisthioparorchis dehradunensis sp. nov. is distinguished from O. nanoranae sp. nov. by testes orientation; oblique in O. dehradunensis sp. nov., tandem in O. nanoranae sp. nov.
KeywordsBatrachotrema korbaensis sp. nov. Opisthioparorchis nanoranae sp. nov. Opisthioparorchis dehradunensis sp. nov. Trematoda Nanorana minica Amphibia India
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cribb T.H. 2005. Family Batrachotrematidae Dollfus and Williams, 1966. In: (Eds. A. Jones, R.A. Bray and D.I. Gibson) Keys to the Trematoda. CAB International and The Natural History Museum, London, 437–442.Google Scholar
- Dollfus R.Ph., Williams M.O. 1966. Recherche des affinités naturelles d’un distome (Trematoda Prosostomata) parasite de batracien anoure de Sierra-Leone. Bulletin du Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle, 38, 201–207.Google Scholar
- Li D. 1996. Two new species of trematode of frogs in Yunnan Province. Annual Bulletin of the Society of Parasitology Guangdong Province, 18, 60–63 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Li M. 1997. Notes on fauna of trematodes of frog and birds in Wuling Mountains area and description of five new species. In: (Ed. D. Song) Invertebrates of Wuling Mountains area, Southwestern China. Science Press, Beijung, 306–312. (Accepted March 14, 2012)Google Scholar
- Liang C., Ke X.-l. 1988. Four new trematodes from mammals and amphibians in Guangdong Province (Trematoda: Cathaemasiidae, Batrachotrematidae)]. Annual Bulletin of the Society of Parasitology Guangdong Province, 10, 129–133 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Liang C., Ke X.-l., Pan L.-x. 1990. Four new trematodes from mammals and amphibians in Guangdong Province (Trematoda: Cathaemasiidae, Batrachotrematidae). Acta Zootaxonomica Sinica, 15, 393–400 (In Chinese, English summary).Google Scholar
- Moravec F., Sey O. 1989. Some amphibian trematodes from Vietnam and Papua New Guinea. Vestnik Ceskoslovenske Spolecnosti Zoologicke, 53, 265–279.Google Scholar
- Prudhoe S., Bray R.A. 1982. Platyhelminth Parasites of the Amphibia. British Museum (Natural History) and Oxford University Press, London, 217 pp.Google Scholar
- Tandon V., Imkongwapang R., Prasad P.K. 2005. On two new species of the trematode genera, Opisthioparorchis Wang, 1980 and Batrachotrema Dollfus and Williams, 1966 (Batrachotrematidae), with a report of a Chinese species of Opisthioparorchis from anuran amphibian hosts in India. Zoos’ Print Journal, 20, 1883–1887.Google Scholar
- Wang P.-q. 1980. Report on some trematodes from amphibians and reptiles in Fujian, South China. Fujian Shida Xueba, 2, 81–92 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Wang P.-q. 1981. Notes on some trematodes from freshwater fishes in Fujian Province. Journal of Fujian Teachers University (Normal Science), 11, 81–90 (In Chinese).Google Scholar
- Zhang T.-f., Sha G.-r. 1985. Two new species of trematodes from frogs in Sichuan Province (Trematoda: Batrachotrematidae, Omphalometridae)]. Acta Zootaxonomica Sinica, 10, 350–353 (In Chinese, English summary).Google Scholar