A new marine fish leech species of the genus Oceanobdella (Clitellata, Piscicolidae) from coastal waters of Sakhalin Island
- 77 Downloads
A new species of marine fish leeches is described and compared with its congeners. Oceanobdella sakhalinica possesses a unique combination of characters: the anterior sucker is small; one of posterior transverse bands on the urosome is very dark; a wedge-shaped patch is located on the posterior sucker; posterior crop caeca are separate for their entire length; accessory glands on the atrium are lacking; five pairs of testisacs are present; the copulatory area and the conductive tissue are lacking. Hosts include a sculpin Myoxocephalus sp. and the blackline prickleback Acantholumpenus mackayi. The leeches were collected in Aniva Bay, southern Sakhalin.
KeywordsOceanobdella sakhalinica sp. nov. leeches Piscicolidae fishes Sakhalin North Pacific
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Epshtein V.M. 1967. Regularities of the geographical distribution of the marine fish leeches (Hirudinea: Piscicolidae). Zoologicheskiy Zhurnal, 46, 680–691.Google Scholar
- Epshtein V.M., Utevsky S.Y. 1996. A new fish leech species (Hirudinea: Piscicolidae) from the Northern Pacific. Vestnik Zoologii, 30, 3–8.Google Scholar
- Khan R.A., Meyer M.C. 1976. Taxonomy and biology of some Newfoundland marine leeches (Rhynchobdellae: Piscicolidae). Journal of the Fisheries Research Board of Canada, 33, 1699–1714.Google Scholar
- Khan R.A., Paul A.J. 1995. Life cycle studies on arcto-boreal leeches (Hirudinea). Journal of the Helminthological Society of Washington, 62, 105–110.Google Scholar
- Moore J.P., Meyer M.C. 1951. Leeches (Hirudinea) from Alaskan and adjacent waters. Wasmann Journal of Biology, 9, 11–77.Google Scholar
- Sawyer R.T. 1986. Leech Biology and Behaviour. Vol. 2. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK, 374 pp.Google Scholar
- Utevsky S.Y. 2003. On the systematic position of the marine fish leech Heptacyclus albus (Hirudinea, Piscicolidae). Vestnik Zoologii, 37, 65–70.Google Scholar
- Vasilyev E.A. 1939. The Ichthyobdellidae of the Far East. Trudy Karelskogo Gosudarstvennogo Pedagogicheskogo Instituta, Biology Series, 1, 25–66.Google Scholar