Records of cysticercoids of Fimbriarioides tadornae Maksimova, 1976 and Branchiopodataenia gvozdevi (Maksimova, 1988) (Cyclophyllidea, Hymenolepididae) from brine shrimps at the Mediterranean coasts of Spain and France, with a key to cestodes from Artemia spp. from the Western Mediterranean
- 48 Downloads
Cysticercoids of two cestode species isolated from brine shrimps from the Mediterranean coasts of Spain and France are described. Fimbriarioides tadornae Maksimova, 1976 (adults known as parasites of Tadorna tadorna) was recorded from Artemia parthenogenetica and A. franciscana from Spain (Bras del Port and River Ebro Delta, respectively), and from A. franciscana from Aigues-Mortes, France (new geographical record). Branchiopodataenia gvozdevi (Maksimova, 1988) (adults known as parasites of Larus genei) was recorded from A. parthenogenetica (Bras del Port, Spain), A. salina (San Pedro del Pinatar, Spain) and A. franciscana (River Ebro Delta, Spain); this is the first record of the species in Europe. An illustrated key to cysticercoids of 12 cestode species from Artemia spp. from the Western Mediterranean is proposed.
KeywordsHymenolepididae cysticercoids Artemia Mediterranean Iberian Peninsula
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Amat F., Illescas M.P., Fernandez J. 1991b. Brine shrimp Artemia parasitized by Flamingolepis liguloides (Cestoda, Hymenolepididae) cysticercoids in Spanish Mediterranean salterns. Quantitative aspects. Vie et Milieu, 41, 237–244.Google Scholar
- Georgiev B.B., Sánchez M.I., Green A.J., Nikolov P.N., Vasileva G.P., Mavrodieva R.S. 2005. Cestodes from Artemia parthenogenetica (Crustacea, Branchiopoda) in the Odiel Marshes, Spain: A systematic survey of cysticercoids. Acta Parasitologica, 50, 105–117.Google Scholar
- Georgiev B.B., Sánchez M.I., Vasileva G.P., Nikolov P.N., Green A.J. 2007. Cestode parasitism in invasive and native brine shrimps (Artemia spp.) as a possible factor promoting the rapid invasion of A. franciscana in the Mediterranean region. Parasitology Research, 101, 1647–1655. DOI: 10.1007/s00436-007-0708-3.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kornyushin V.V. 1969. Cestode fauna of Black Sea population of Tadorna tadorna L. Zbirnik Prac’ Zoologichnogo Muzeyu, 33, 36–46 (In Ukrainian).Google Scholar
- Maksimova A.P. 1976. A new cestode, Fimbriarioides tadornae sp. n., from Tadorna tadorna and its development in the intermediate host. Parazitologiya, 10, 17–24 (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Robert F., Gabrion C. 1991. Cestodoses de l’Avifaune Camarguaise. Rôle d’Artemia (Crustacea, Anostraca) et stratégies de recontre hôte-parasite. Annales de Parasitologie Humaine et Comparée, 66, 226–235.Google Scholar