Application of one-dimensional model to calculate water velocity distributions over elastic elements simulating Canadian waterweed plants (Elodea Canadensis)
- 308 Downloads
One-dimensional model for vertical profiles of longitudinal velocities in open-channel flows is verified against laboratory data obtained in an open channel with artificial plants. Those plants simulate Canadian waterweed which in nature usually forms dense stands that reach all the way to the water surface. The model works particularly well for densely spaced plants.
Key wordssubmerged flexible vegetation velocity profile openchannel flow Canadian waterweed
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Defina, A., and A.Ch. Bixio (2005), Mean flow and turbulence in vegetated open channel flow, Water Resour. Res. 41,W07006, 1–12, DOI: 10.1029/2004WR003475.Google Scholar
- Erduran, K.S., and V. Kutija (2003), Quasi-three-dimensional numerical model for flow through flexible, rigid, submerged and non-submerged vegetation, J. Hydroinform. 05.3, 189–202.Google Scholar
- Klopstra, D., H.J. Barneveld, J.M. Van Noortwijk, and E.H. Van Velzen (1997), Analytical model for hydraulic roughness of submerged vegetation. In: The 27th Congress of the International Association for Hydraulic Research, San Francisco, 1997; Proc. Theme A, Managing Water: Coping with Scarcity and Abundance, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), New-York, 775–780.Google Scholar
- Kubrak, E. (2007), Distributions of water velocities in open-channels with stems simulating vegetation, Ph.D. Thesis, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Warsaw University of Life Sciences, Warszawa, Poland (in Polish).Google Scholar
- Podbielkowski, Z., and H. Tomaszewicz (1996), An Outline of Hydrobotanics, PWN, Warszawa, 531 pp. (in Polish).Google Scholar
- Rowiński, P.M., and J. Kubrak (2002b), Velocity profiles on vegetated flood plains, Proc. Int. Conf. on Fluvial Hydraulics “River Flow 2002”, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium, 303–309.Google Scholar
- Wójtowicz A., E. Kubrak, and M. Krukowski (2010), Distributions of water velocities in open-channels with aquatic vegetation, Scientific Review Engineering and Environmental Sciences, Warsaw University of Life Sciences Press, Warszawa, Poland, 11–20 (in Polish).Google Scholar