CAM-EULAG: A non-hydrostatic atmospheric climate model with grid stretching
This study evaluates the capability of a non-hydrostatic global climate model with grid stretching (CEU) that uses NCAR Community Atmospheric Model (CAM) physics and EULAG dynamics. We compare CEU rainfall with that produced by CAM using finite volume dynamics (CFV). Both models simulated climate from 1996 to 2000, using the same parameterization schemes.
CEU and CFV both simulate well the observed global rainfall pattern. However, with same grid, CEU performs better than CFV in simulating the annual cycles of precipitation over our target region of West Africa. The reason is that it simulates African easterly jet and monsoon circulations better than CFV. CEU simulations with horizontal grid stretching to 0.5° are markedly better than those using CAM’s standard 2.0°×2.5° grid.
Key wordsglobal climate model stretched grid non-hydrostatic dynamics
- Berrisford, P., D. Dee, K. Fielding, M. Fuentes, P. Kallberg, S. Kobayashi, and S. Uppala (2009), The ERA-Interim archive, ERA Report Series, 1, European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, Shinfield Park, Reading, 16 pp.Google Scholar
- Collins, W.D., P.J. Rasch, B.A. Boville, J.J. Hack, J.R. McCaa, D.L. Williamson, J.T. Kiehl, B. Briegleb, C. Bitz, S.-J. Lin, M. Zhang, and Y. Dai (2004), Description of the NCAR community atmosphere model (CAM 3.0), Technical report NCAR/TN-464+STR, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO, 210 pp.Google Scholar
- Collins, W.D., P.J. Rasch, B.A. Boville, J.J. Hack, J.R. McCaa, D.L. Williamson, B.P. Briegleb, C.M. Bitz, S.-J. Lin, and M. Zhang (2006), The formulation and atmospheric simulation of the community atmosphere model Version 3 (CAM3), J. Climate 19,11, 2144–2161, DOI: 10.1175/JCLI3760.1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Huffman, G.J., R.F. Adler, M.M. Morrissey, D.T. Bolvin, S. Curtis, R. Joyce, B. Mc-Gavock, and J. Susskind (2001), Global precipitation at One-Degree Daily resolution from multisatellite observations, J. Hydrometeor. 2,1, 36–50, DOI: 10.1175/1525-7541(2001)002<0036:GPAODD>2.0.CO;2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sylla, M.B., A. Dell’Aquila, P.M. Ruti, and F. Giorgi (2010a), Simulation of the intraseasonal and the interannual variability of rainfall over West Africa with RegCM3 during the monsoon period, Int. J. Climatol. 30,12, 1865–1883, DOI: 10.1002/joc.2029.Google Scholar