Verification of the TSMP-assisted digisonde topside profiling technique
- 41 Downloads
The purpose of this paper is to evaluate the performance of the TSMP-assisted Digisonde (TaD) topside profiling technique. We present systematic comparisons between electron density profiles and TEC parameters extracted from TaD model with (a) CHAMP-derived TEC parameters, (b) CHAMP reconstructed profiles, (c) ground based GPSderived TEC parameters, and (d) profiles reconstructed from RPI/IMAGE plasmagrams. In all cases, TaD follows the general trend of plasmaspheric observations derived from the above datasets. Especially during storm cases, TaD shows remarkable agreement with the variations of the ground based GPS-derived TEC parameters. Overall, the comparison results shows that TaD method can be adopted by EURIPOS to provide the electron density distribution up to plasmaspheric heights in real-time.
Key wordsionosphere plasmasphere electron density reconstruction ionospheric scale height total electron content
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belehaki, A., L. Cander, B. Zolesi, J. Bremer, C. Juren, I. Stanisławska, D. Dialetis, and M. Hatzopoulos (2007), Ionospheric specification and forecasting based on observations from European ionosondes participating in DIAS project, Acta Geophys. 55,3, 398–409, DOI: 10.2478/s11600-007-0010-x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Burch, J.L. (ed.) (2000), The IMAGE Mission, Kluwer Acad. Pub., Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- Kutiev, I., P. Marinov, A. Belehaki, N. Jakowski, B. Reinisch, C. Mayer, and I. Tsagouri (2010), Plasmaspheric electron density reconstruction based on the Topside Sounder Model Profiler, Acta Geophys. 58, DOI: 10.2478/s11600-009-0051-4 (this issue).Google Scholar
- Nsumei, P.A., X. Huang, B.W. Reinisch, P. Song, V.M. Vasyliunas, J.L. Green, S.F. Fung, R.F. Benson, and D.L. Gallagher (2003), Electron density distribution over the northern polar region deduced from IMAGE/RPI sounding, J. Geophys. Res. 108,A2, 1078, DOI: 10.1029/2002JA009616.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nsumei, P.A., B.W. Reinisch, P. Song, J. Tu, and X. Huang (2008), Polar cap electron density distribution from IMAGE radio plasma imager measurements: Empirical model with the effects of solar illumination and geomagnetic activity, J. Geophys. Res. 113,A1, 1217, DOI: 10.1029/2007JA012566.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Reinisch, B.W., D.M. Haines, K. Bibl, G. Cheney, I.A. Galkin, X. Huang, S.H. Myers, G.S. Sales, R.F. Benson, S.F. Fung, J.L. Green, S. Boardsen, W.W.L. Taylor, J.-L. Bougeret, R. Manning, N. Meyer-Vernet, M. Moncuquet, D.L. Carpenter, D.L. Gallagher, and P. Reiff (2000), The Radio Plasma Imager investigation on the IMAGE spacecraft, Space Sci. Rev. 91,1/2, 319–359, DOI: 10.1023/A:1005252602159.CrossRefGoogle Scholar