- First Online:
- 53 Downloads
A K-quasiderivation is a map which satisfies both the Product Rule and the Chain Rule. In this paper, we discuss several interesting families of K-quasiderivations. We first classify all K-quasiderivations on the ring of polynomials in one variable over an arbitrary commutative ring R with unity, thereby extending a previous result. In particular, we show that any such K-quasiderivation must be linear over R. We then discuss two previously undiscovered collections of (mostly) nonlinear K-quasiderivations on the set of functions defined on some subset of a field. Over the reals, our constructions yield a one-parameter family of K-quasiderivations which includes the ordinary derivative as a special case.
KeywordsK-quasiderivation Polynomial ring Derivation system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fechter T., Exploring the Derivative of a Natural Number Using the Logarithmic Derivative, Senior Capstone thesis, Pacific University, 2007Google Scholar
- Kautschitsch H., Müller W.B., Über die Kettenregel in A [x 1,...x n], A (x 1...x n) und A [[x 1,...x n]], In: Contributions to General Algebra, 1, Klagenfurt, May 25–28, 1978, Johannes Heyn, Klagenfurt, 1979, 131–136Google Scholar
- Lausch H., Nöbauer W., Algebra of Polynomials, North-Holland Math. Library, 5, North-Holland, Amsterdam-London, 1973Google Scholar
- Müller W.B., The algebra of derivations, An. Acad. Brasil. Ciênc., 1973, 45, 339–343 (in Spanish)Google Scholar
- Stay M., Generalized number derivatives, J. Integer Seq., 2005, 8(1), #05.1.4Google Scholar
- Ufnarovski V., Ahlander B., How to differentiate a number, J. Integer Seq., 2003, 6(3), #03.3.4Google Scholar
- Westrick L., Investigations of the number derivative, preprint available at http://www.plouffe.fr/simon/OEIS/archive_in_pdf/intmain.pdf