Methane release from a brackish intertidal salt-marsh embayment of Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
- 36 Downloads
Gaseous methane loss from a brackish, intertidal salt marsh sediment was measured in April, June, August, and October 1977. Twenty-four sediment cores were taken on each date. Annual loss of methane carbon from the mud flats was 10.7 g CH4−C per m2 per year, a value closer to freshwater values than marine systems. Loss of methane fromSpartina peat was low.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Claypool, G. E., andI. R. Kaplan 1975. The origin and distribution of methane in marine sediments, p. 99–139.In I. A. Kaplan (ed.). Nutrient Gases in Marine Sediments. Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Debont, J. A. M., andE. G. Mulder 1974. Nitrogen fixation and co-oxidation of ethylene by a methane-utilizing bacteria.J. Gen. Microbiol. 83:113–121.Google Scholar
- Howarth, R. W., and J. M. Teal. In press. Sulfate reduction in a New England salt marsh.Limnol. Oceanogr.Google Scholar
- Jorgensen, B. B. 1977. The sulfer cycle of a coastal marine sediment (Limfjorden, Denmark).Limnol. Oceanogr. 22:814–832.Google Scholar
- Martens, C. S., andR. A. Berner 1977. Interstitial water chemistry of anoxic Long Island Sound sediments. 1. Dissolved gases.Limnol. Oceanogr. 22:10–25.Google Scholar
- Martens, C. S., andM. B. Goldhaber 1978. Early diagenesis in transitional sedimentary environments of the White Oak River Estuary, North Carolina.Limnol. Oceanogr. 23:428–441.Google Scholar
- Oremland, R. S., andB. F. Taylor 1975. Inhibition of methanogenesis in marine sediments by acetylene and ethylene: Validity of the acetylene reduction assay for anaerobic microcosms.Appl. Microbiol. 30:707–709.Google Scholar
- Reeburgh, W. S. 1969. Observations of gases in Chesapeake Bay sediments.Limnol. Oceanogr 14:368–375.Google Scholar
- Swain, F. M. 1973. Marsh gas from the Atlantic coastal plain. Advances in Organic Geochemistry, Proceedings of 6th Cong. Org. Geo. Chem., p. 673–687.Google Scholar
- Winfrey, M. R., andJ. G. Zeikus. 1977. Effect of sulfate on carbon and electron flow during microbial methanogenesis in freshwater sediments.Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 33:275–281.Google Scholar