Investigations of inner continental shelf waters off lower Chesapeake Bay. Part VI. The copepods
- 22 Downloads
Thirty different species of copepods were found in inner continental shelf waters off Virginia from December 1959 through November 1960. The range of surface water temperature during this period was 25°C (1.6 to 26.6°C). Most of the copepods were colder water forms whose relative abundance throughout the year was similar to that observed by other investigators for the Atlantic coast north of Cape Hatteras. Species of tropical origin were relatively scarce, probably limited by the low winter-spring temperatures. Numerous other crustacean plankters were identified, some to species; decapod larvae were most numerous from April through June. The mean annual displacement volume of total zooplankon, excluding the data for August and September when coelenterates, ctenophores, and tunicates were particularly abundant, was 9.5 ml per 20-minute half-meter-net haul.
KeywordsContinental Shelf Summer Form Virginia Institute Offshore Station Tropical Origin
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bigelow, H. B. andMary Sears. 1939. Studies of the waters of the continental shelf, Cape Cod to Chesapeake Bay. III. A volumetric study of the zooplankton.Mem. Mus. Comp. Zool. Harv. 54: 182–378.Google Scholar
- Davis, C. C. 1944. On four species of copepods new to Chesapeake Bay, with a description of a new variety ofParacalanus crassirostris Dahl.Ches. Biol. Lab. Publ. No. 61, 11 p.Google Scholar
- Deevey, Georgiana B. 1960. The zooplankton of the surface waters of the Delaware Bay region.Bull. Bingham Oceanogr. Coll. 17(2):5–23.Google Scholar
- Fish, C. J. 1925. Seasonal distribution of the plankton of the Woods Hole region.Bull. U.S. Bur. Fish. 41(1925):91–179.Google Scholar
- Joseph, E. B., W. H. Massmann andJ. J. Norcross. 1961. A summary of hydrographic station data from the Atlantic plankton cruises of the R/V Pathfinder. Dec. 1959-Dec. 1960.Va. Fish. Lab. Spec. Sci. Rept. 18, 24 p.Google Scholar
- Norcross, J. J., W. H. Massmann andE. B. Joseph. 1961. Gear data report from Atlantic plankton cruises for the R/V Pathfinder. Dec. 1959-Dec. 1960.Va. Fish. Lab. Spec. Sci. Rept. 19, 10 p.Google Scholar
- Riley, G. A., H. Stommel andD. F. Bumpus. 1949. Quantitative ecology of the plankton of the western North Atlantic.Bull. Bingham Oceanogr. Coll. 12(3):1–169.Google Scholar
- Sutcliffe, W. H., Jr. 1950. A qualitative and quantitative study of the surface zooplankton at Beaufort, North Carolina.Ph.D. thesis, Duke University. 137 p.Google Scholar
- Wilson, C. B. 1932a. The copepod crustaceans of Chesapeake Bay.Proc. U.S. Nat. Mus. 80Art. 15. 54 p.Google Scholar
- — 1932b. The copepods of the Woods Hole region Massachusetts.Bull. U. S. Nat. Mus. 158, xix + 635 p.Google Scholar