Taxonomic notes on astragalus section leptocarpi subsection californici (Fabaceae)
A recently completed study of Astragalus sect. Leptocarpi subsect. Californici shows that the following taxonomic adjustments are required: 1) Astragalus tener var. ferrisiae, a new variety, is described. It is compared to A. tener var. tener, as well as to A. rattanii var. jepsonianus in which it was previously included, and to the superficially similar A. clarianus with which it was confused. An illustration of the new variety, and of the fruits of these related taxa, is included. 2) Astragalus nyensis was placed in subsect. Californici by Barneby in his 1964 monograph. Morphological, anatomical, and allozyme data suggest that A. nyensis should be placed in the subsect. Leptocarpi closely allied to A. nuttallianus.
KeywordsBanner Napa Taxonomic Note Keel Petal Astragalus Section
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abrams, L. 1944. Illustrated flora of the Pacific States 2: 608. Stanford Univ. Press, Stanford, CA.Google Scholar
- barneby, R. C. 1942. Pugillus Astragalorum Nevadensium. Leafl. W. Bot. 3: 97–114.Google Scholar
- — 1954. Pugillus Astragalorium XVI: minor novelties from Nevada. Leafl. W. Bot. 8: 193–196.Google Scholar
- — 1958. Notes preliminary to an account of Astragalus in California. Aliso 4: 131–137.Google Scholar
- — 1964. Atlas of North American Astragalus. Mem. New York Bot. Gard. 13: 1–1188.Google Scholar
- Baum, H. 1948. Vergleichend morphologische, anatomische undtwicklungsgeschichtliche untersuchungen über die Astragalus frucht. Ann. Naturhist. Mus., Wien 56: 246–261.Google Scholar
- Liston, A. 1990. An evolutionary study of Astragalus sect. Leptocarpi subsect. Californici (Fabaceae). Ph.D. dissertation. Claremont Graduate School, Claremont, CA.Google Scholar
- — 1990. Chromosome counts in Astragalus (Fabaceae). Madroño 37: 59–60.Google Scholar