Feeding of underyearling walleye surfperch,Hyperprosopon argenteum, in a Northern California Bay
- 23 Downloads
A study of the feeding of underyearling walleye surfperch (Hyperprosopon argenteum) was based on fish collected in seven areas of Humboldt Bay, California, during September and October 1969. Crustaceans were found in all stomachs containing food, but the type of major food consumed varied with distance from the entrance channel. Amphipods were universally consumed, with cypris stages more important in areas with high tidal exchange, and terrestrial moth flies (Psychoda spp.) and harpacticoid copepods more important in backwater areas. Collections indicate daylight feeding and probably limited diurnal movements of underyearling walleye surfperch, a different pattern of feeding behavior than walleye surfperch of inshore waters of southern California.
KeywordsJetty Kelp Forest Harpacticoid Copepod Inshore Water Harpacticoids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Allen, G. H., A. C. DeLacy, andD. W. Gotshall. 1960. Quantitative sampling of marine fishes—a problem in fish behavior and fishing gear, p. 448–511.In E. A. Pearson (ed.), First Inter. Conf., Waste Disposal in the Mar. Environ., Pergamon Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Dixon, R. L., and W. J. Eckmayer. 1975. A checklist of the elasmobranchs and teleosts in the outer harbor of Anaheim Bay, p. 175–183.In E. D. Lane and C. W. Hill (eds.), The Mar. Resour. of Anaheim Bay, Calif. Dept. Fish and Game,Fish. Bull. 165.Google Scholar
- Ebeling, A. W., andR. N. Bray. 1976. Day versus night activity of reef fishes in a kelp forest off Santa Barbara, California.Fish. Bull. 74:703–717.Google Scholar
- Eckmayer, W. J.. 1979. Age and growth of four surfperches (Embiotocidae) from the outer harbor of Anaheim Bay, California.Calif. Fish Game 65:265–272.Google Scholar
- Gotshall, D. W., G. H. Allen, andR. A. Barnhart. 1980. An annotated checklist of fishes from Humboldt Bay, California.Calif. Fish Game 66:220–232.Google Scholar
- Hobson, E. S., andJ. R. Chess. 1976. Trophic interactions among fishes and zooplankters near shore at Santa Catalina Island, California.Fish. Bull. 74: 567–598.Google Scholar
- Limbaugh, C. 1955. Fish life in the kelp beds and the effects of kelp harvesting. Univ. Calif., Inst. Mar. Resour., IMR Ref. 55-9. 158 p.Google Scholar
- Miller, D. J., And D. W. Gotshall 1965. Ocean sportfish catch and effort from Oregon to Point Arguello, California, July 1, 1957 to June 30, 1961. Calif. Dept. Fish and Game.Fish. Bull. 130. 135 p.Google Scholar
- Skeesick, D. G.. 1963. A study of some physicalchemical characteristics of Humboldt Bay. M.S. Thesis, Humboldt St. College, Arcata, California. 148 p.Google Scholar
- Smith, A. K.. 1967. Population dynamics and ecology of the embiotocids of Humboldt Bay, California. M.S. Thesis, Humboldt St. College, Arcata, California. 84 p.Google Scholar