The reproductive cycle of the bay scallop, Argopecten irradians irradians (Lamarck), in a small coastal embayment on Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- 48 Downloads
The spawning activity of the bay scallop Argopecten irradians irradians (Lamarck) was monitored from May through September in a small embayment on Cape Cod, Massachusetts and compared with changes in hydrographic conditions. Spawning activity of bay scallops began in May and continued through July with some minor activity occurring during August and September. Activity was most closely related to changes in ambient temperature and occurred predominantly before the summer maximum temperature was recorded. As temperatures declined in the late summer and early fall, increased gametogenic activity was evident. A longer period of spawning activity was observed than was previously reported for New England waters.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belding, D. L. 1910. A report upon the bay scallop fishery of Massachusetts, including the habits, and life history of Pecten irradians, its rate of growth, and other factors of economic value. Mass. Comm. Fish and Game, Mar. Fish. Ser., Spec. Rept. No. 3, 150 p.Google Scholar
- Belding, D. L. 1931. The scallop fisheries of Massachusetts. Comm. Mass., Dept. Conserv., Div. Fish and Game, Mar. Fish. Ser., No. 2.Google Scholar
- Brousseau, D. J. 1978. Spawning cycle, fecundity, and recruitment in a population of soft-shell clam, Mya arenaria from Cape Ann, Massachusetts. Fish. Bull. 76:155–166.Google Scholar
- Clarke, A. H. 1965. The scallop superspecies Aequipecten irradians (Lamarck). Malacologia 2:161–188.Google Scholar
- Gutsell, J. S. 1930. Natural history of the bay scallop. U.S. Bur. Fish. Bull. 46:569–632.Google Scholar
- Humason, G. L. 1962. Animal Tissue Techniques. W. H. Freeman and Co. 561 p.Google Scholar
- Quayle, D. B. 1952. Sex, gonad development, and seasonal gonad changes in Paphia staminea (Conrad). J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 62:140–151.Google Scholar
- Robert, G. 1978. Biological assessment of the bay scallop (Aequipecten irradians) for maritime waters. Fish. and Mar. Sci. Tech. Rept. No. 778, Dept. Fisheries and Environment, Halifax Nova Scotia, Canada, 14 p.Google Scholar
- Sastry, A. N. 1968. The relationships among food, temperature, and gonad development of the bay scallop Aequipecten irradians (Lamarck). Physiol. Zool. 41:44–53.Google Scholar
- Shaw, W. N. 1964. Seasonal gonadal changes in the female soft-shell clam, Mya arenaria, in the Tred Avon River, Maryland. Proc. Nat'l. Shellfish. Assoc. 53:121–132.Google Scholar
- U.S. Dept. of Commerce, N.O.A.A. 1979. Fisheries of the United States. Current Fisheries Statistics. No. 7800.Google Scholar