Teaching evidence-based integrative medicine: description of a model programme
Complementary and alternative medicine is of great importance to the American public, yet often resisted by a conventional medical community unschooled in its methods. To provide the public with safe and unprejudiced access to all modes of health care, the integration of conventional and complementary care is needed. The Integrative Medicine Center at Griffin Hospital (Derby, Connecticut, USA) has implemented a unique model of integrative care in which allopathic and naturopathic providers base treatment recommendations on consensus. The centre is used as a training site for allopathic students and naturopathic residents; and, in conjunction with Yale’s Prevention Research Center, also provides training in research methods. Since its inception in 2000, three naturopathic residents have graduated and high patient satisfaction has been consistently achieved. The model described has the potential to advance the delivery of integrative care, train naturopathic practitioners in evidence-based methods, and create collaboration between allopathic and alternative providers.
Keywordsalternative medicine integrative medicine medical education naturopathic medicine patient-centred care
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Katz DL, Greci L, Nawaz H. 2001. Clinical epidemiology and evidence-based medicine. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publ.Google Scholar
- Katz DL, Williams A-L, Girard C et al. 2003. The evidence base for complementary and alternative medicine: methods of evidence mapping with application to CAM. Altern Therap Health Med, 9:22–30.Google Scholar
- National College of Naturopathic Medicine. 2002. Residency guidelines for National College of Naturopathic Medicine [online]. Accessed 29 Sep 2003. URL: http://www.ncnm.edu/a4academics/residency.cfm
- Pelligrino EF. 1972. Closing the profession gap-some notes on unity of purpose in the health professions. In McTernan EG, Hawkins RO, eds. Educating personnel for the allied health professions and services. London: Mosby.Google Scholar
- Planetree. 2002. The Planetree model [online]. Accessed 29 Sep 2003. URL: http://www.planetree.org