▴ Nelarabine is an anticancer prodrug of arabinofura-nosylguanine (ara-G), which is metabolized in cells to the cytotoxic metabolite ara-G triphosphate (ara-GTP).
▴ Ara-GTP competes with deoxyguanosine triphosphate for incorporation into DNA. Once incorporated, it inhibits DNA synthesis and leads to high molecular weight DNA fragmentation and cell death.
▴ In paediatric and adult patients with T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia or T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma, nelarabine induced a complete response, with or without complete haematological recovery, in approximately one-fifth of patients who had not responded to, or had relapsed following treatment with, two or more prior chemotherapy regimens.
▴ The median overall survival time was 13.1 and 20.6 weeks in paediatric and adult patients, with corresponding 1-year survival rates of 14% and 29%.
▴ Treatment-emergent adverse events were common, but non-haematological events were mostly of mild or moderate severity.
▴ Neurological events, which may be severe and irreversible, were the most likely adverse events to limit treatment.
KeywordsAcute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Clofarabine Prior Chemotherapy Regimen Paediatric Trial Neurological Adverse Event
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.European Medicines Agency. Atriance: scientific discussion [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/Humans/EPAR/atriance/atriance.htm [Accessed 2007 Dec 6]
- 4.Cancer Research UK. UK Non-Hodgkins lymphoma statistics [online]. Available from URL: http://info.cancer-researchuk.org/cancerstats [Accessed 2007 Dec 13]
- 12.Gandhi V, Rodriguez Jr C, Kisor DF, et al. Rationale and design of pharmacologically directed clinical trials of GW506U in refractory hematologic malignancies. Blood 1997 Nov 15; 90 Suppl. 1 (Pt 2): 241Google Scholar
- 20.GlaxoSmithKline. Arranon® (nelarabine): US prescribing information [online]. Available from URL: http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_arranon.pdf [Accessed 2007 Nov 22]
- 21.European Medicines Agency. Atriance (nelarabine): summary of product information [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/atriance/H-752-PI-en.pdf [Accessed 2007 Dec 6]
- 24.Gokbuget N, Arnold R, Atta J, et al. High single drug activity of compound GW506U78 in relapsed T-lymphoblastic leukemia (T-ALL) and T-lymphoblastic lymphoma (T-LBL) offers option for cure with stem cell transplantation [abstract no. 0397]. Haematologica 2005 Jun; 90 Suppl. 2: 157Google Scholar
- 25.US FDA Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research. Nelarabine review [online]. Available from URL: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm [Accessed 2007 Nov 9]
- 26.National Cancer Institute. Common toxicity criteria [online]. Available from URL: http://www.fda.gov/cder/cancer/toxicityframe [Accessed 2007 Dec 9]
- 27.US National Institutes of Health. Combination chemotherapy in treating young patients with newly diagnosed T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia [online]. Available from URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=leukemia+and+nelarabine [Accessed 2008 Jan 28]