- 273 Downloads
Sipuleucel-T is an autologous active cellular immunotherapy used in the treatment of men with asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC). It is the first therapeutic cancer vaccine to receive US FDA approval.
Approximately 3 days prior to each infusion of sipuleucel-T, patients undergo a leukapheresis procedure for collection of autologous peripheral blood mononuclear cells. Preparation of sipuleucel-T involves enrichment for antigen-presenting cells from the leukapheresis product and activation ex vivo with a recombinant fusion protein (PA2024).
In the randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled IMPACT study in patients with metastatic CRPC, sipuleucel-T was associated with a 22% relative reduction in the risk of death (hazard ratio 0.78; p = 0.03), which was the primary endpoint of the trial. After a median follow-up period of 34.1 months, median survival was 4.1 months longer with sipuleucel-T than placebo (25.8 vs 21.7 months). There was no significant between-group difference for the median time to objective disease progression (a secondary endpoint).
Acknowledgments and Disclosures
The manuscript was reviewed by: G. Di Lorenzo, Department of Molecular and Clinical Endocrinology and Oncology, University degli Studi Federico II, Naples, Italy; E.Y. Yu, Division of Oncology, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, Washington, USA.
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. During the peer review process, the manufacturer of the agent under review was also offered an opportunity to comment on this article. Changes resulting from comments received were made on the basis of scientific and editorial merit.
- 1.American Cancer Society. Prostate cancer: what are the key statistics about prostate cancer? [online]. Available from URL: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ProstateCancer/DetailedGuide/prostate-cancer-key-statistics [Accessed 2010 Oct 12]
- 3.American Cancer Society. Prostate cancer: what are the risk factors for prostate cancer? [online]. Available from URL: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ProstateCancer/DetailedGuide/prostate-cancer-risk-factors [Accessed 2010 Oct 12]
- 4.American Cancer Society. Prostate cancer: 5-year relative survival rates by stage [online]. Available from URL: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ProstateCancer/DetailedGuide/prostate-cancer-survival-rates [Accessed 2010 Oct 12]
- 7.American Cancer Society. Prostate cancer: initial treatment of prostate cancer by stage [online]. Available from URL: http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/ProstateCancer/DetailedGuide/prostate-cancer-treating-by-stage [Accessed 2010 Oct 12]
- 13.Sipuleucel-T (Provenge®) US prescribing information. Seattle (WA): Dendreon Corporation, 2010Google Scholar
- 15.Sheikh NA, Rosa CPd, Kuan L-Y, et al. Sipuleucel-T generates robust and persistent cellular and humoral immune responses: results from the IMPACT trial [abstract no. 2932]. 101st Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2010 Apr 17–21; Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 17.Stewart FP, Rosa CPd, Sheikh NA, et al. Correlation between product parameters and overall survival in three trials of sipuleucel-T, an autologous active cellular immunotherapy for the treatment of prostate cancer [abstract no. 4552]. 46th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2010 Jun 4–8; Chicago (IL)Google Scholar
- 18.Sheikh NA, Rosa CPd, Frohlich MW, et al. Sipuleucel-T treatment results in sequential ex vivo activation of APCs and T cells during the culture step: evidence for in vivo immunological priming [abstract no. 5608]. 101st Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research; 2010 Apr 17–21; Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 20.Higano CS, Small EJ, Schellhammer PF, et al. Predictors of outcome and subgroup results from the integrated analysis of sipuleucel-T trials in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer [abstract no. 4550]. 46th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2010 Jun 4–8; Chicago (IL)Google Scholar
- 21.Petrylak DP, Dawson NA, Gardner T, et al. Persistence of immunotherapy survival effects of sipuleucel-T and relationship to postrandomization docetaxel use in phase III studies [abstract no. 4551]. 46th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology; 2010 Jun 4–8; Chicago (IL)Google Scholar
- 22.Kantoff P, Higano CS, Berger ER, et al. Updated survival results of the IMPACT trial of sipuleucel-T for metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) [abstract no. 8]. 2010 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium; 2010 Mar 5–7; San Francisco (CA)Google Scholar
- 24.Fitzhugh M. Medicare committee supports Dendreon’s Provenge in controversial review [online]. Available from URL: http://seekingalpha.com/article/237525-medicare-committee-supports-dendreons-provenge-in-controversial-review [Accessed 2010 Dec 2]