Effect of L-Carnitine on the Limitation of Infarct Size in One-Month Postmyocardial Infarction Cases
- 10 Downloads
On the basis of biochemical, experimental and clinical studies reporting a favourable effect of L-carnitine in acute myocardial ischaemia, the capability of the compound to reduce the extent of necrotic area in patients with a confirmed diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction was evaluated. The effect of L-carnitine was determined using technetium-99m (Tc99m) SPECT (Single Photon Emission Tomography) imaging. L-carnitine was found to significantly increase myocardial viability in treated patients after 8 week’ oral supplementation, in comparison with controls treated with placebo. The data suggest that L-carnitine may have a significant role in the treatment of patients after myocardial infarction.
KeywordsAcute Myocardial Infarction Carnitine Drug Invest Single Photon Emission Tomography Trimetazidine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Liedtke AJ. Alterations of carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in the acutely ischemic heart. Prog Cardiovasc 1981; Dec 23: 321Google Scholar
- 3.Shug AL, et al. Changes in carnitine-linked metabolism during ischemia, thermal injury and shock. Carnitine biosynthesis, metabolism and functions. Academic Press Inc: 1980Google Scholar
- 10.Rebuzzi AG, et al. Beneficial effects of L-carnitine in the reduction of the necrotic area in acute myocardial infarction. Drugs Exp Clin Res 1984; 10(4): 219–23Google Scholar
- 11.Chiariello M, et al. L-carnitine in acute myocardial infarction. A multicenter randomized trial. In: Borum PR, editor. Clinical aspects of carnitine deficiency. New York: Pergamon Press 1986; 242–3Google Scholar
- 14.Pasternak RC, Braunwald E, Burton S. In: Braunwald E, editor. Heart diseases: a textbook of cardiovascular medicine. WB Saunders Co 1992; 2: 1213Google Scholar
- 16.Siegel S, Castellan NJ Jr. Nonparametric statistics for behavioral sciences. Berkshire: McGraw Hill, 1988: 87–95Google Scholar
- 24.Idellwenger JA, Grotyohann LW, Neely JR. Coenzyme A and carnitine distribution in normal and ischemic hearts. J Biol Chem 1978 June; 253(12): 4310Google Scholar