- 62 Downloads
▲ Aliskiren/hydrochlorothiazide is a single-pill combination of the first in the new class of non-peptide direct renin inhibitors (aliskiren) and a thiazide diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide [HCTZ]) that achieves blood pressure (BP) reductions greater than those seen with either component alone.
▲ In double-blind, 8-week clinical trials, aliskiren and HCTZ (as a combination of the individual components or as single-pill combinations) reduced mean sitting systolic and diastolic BP from baseline to a significantly greater extent than placebo, aliskiren monotherapy and HCTZ monotherapy. Aliskiren/HCTZ produced additional BP reductions in patients inadequately responsive to 4 weeks’ prior treatment with aliskiren or HCTZ alone.
▲ Responder rates and BP control rates further demonstrated the benefits of aliskiren/HCTZ combination therapy over monotherapy with individual components in patients with mild to moderate hypertension.
▲ Aliskiren plus HCTZ appeared to be effective as long-term (up to 1 year) combination treatment in an open-label trial.
▲ In a 12-week placebo-controlled trial in obese patients with hypertension, BP reductions and responder and control rates were significantly greater with aliskiren/HCTZ than with HCTZ alone.
▲ Aliskiren/HCTZ was generally well tolerated in clinical trials, with most adverse events being mild and transient in nature.
KeywordsAmlodipine Plasma Renin Activity Aliskiren Irbesartan Little Square Mean
Acknowledgments and Disclosures
The manuscript was reviewed by: H.R. Brunner, Department of Medicine, University of Lausanne, Lausanne, Switzerland; D.A. Sica, Division of Nephrology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, USA.
The preparation of this review was not supported by any external funding. During the peer review process, the manufacturer of the agent under review was offered an opportunity to comment on this article. Changes resulting from comments received were made on the basis of scientific and editorial merit.
- 4.Novartis. Tekturna HCT® (aliskiren and hydrochlorothiazide) tablets: prescribing information (US) [online]. Available from URL: http://www.pharma.us.novartis.com/product/pi/pdf/tekturna_hct.pdf [Accessed 2009 Mar 3]
- 5.European Medicines Agency. Rasilez HCT: summary of product characteristics [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/rasilezHCT/H-964-PI-en.pdf [Accessed 2009 Mar 2]
- 13.Pool J, Gradman A, Kolloch R, et al. Aliskiren, a novel renin inhibitor, provides long-term suppression of the renin system, when used alone or in combination with hydrochlorothiazide in the treatment of hypertension [abstract no. 790]. Eur Heart J 2006 Sep; 27 Suppl.: 119. Plus poster presented at the World Congress of Cardiology; 2006 Sep 2–6; BarcelonaGoogle Scholar
- 24.Gradman AH, Kolloch RE, Meyers M, et al. Aliskiren in combination with hydrochlorothiazide is effective and well tolerated during long-term treatment of hypertension [abstract no. P-384]. J Clin Hypertens (Greenwich) 2007 May; 9 (5 Suppl. A): 160Google Scholar
- 25.Calhoun DA, Villamil AS, Chrysant SG, et al. Anti-hypertensive efficacy of aliskiren/hydrochlorothiazide (HCT) combinations in patients with stage 2 hypertension: subgroup analysis of a randomized, double-blind, factorial trial [abstract no. P209]. Hypertension 2008 Oct; 52(4): e97. Plus poster presented at the 62nd Annual High Blood Pressure Conference; 2008 Sep 17; Atlanta (GA)Google Scholar
- 26.Prescott MF, Boye SW, Le Breton S, et al. Antihypertensive efficacy of the direct renin inhibitor aliskiren when added to hydrochlorothiazide treatment in patients with extreme obesity and hypertension [abstract no. 1014-169]. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007 Mar; 49 (9 Suppl. A): 370. Plus poster presented at the 56th Annual Scientific Session of the American College of Cardiology; 2007 Mar 24; New Orleans (LA)Google Scholar
- 27.European Medicines Agency. European Medicines Agency recommends new contraindication and warning for Rasilez and other aliskiren medicines [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/pdfs/human/press/pr/8952309en.pdf [Accessed 2009 Mar 3]