▴ Nelarabine is an anticancer prodrug of arabinofura-nosylguanine (ara-G), which is metabolized in cells to the cytotoxic metabolite ara-G triphosphate (ara-GTP).
▴ Ara-GTP competes with deoxyguanosine triphosphate for incorporation into DNA. Once incorporated, it inhibits DNA synthesis and leads to high molecular weight DNA fragmentation and cell death.
▴ In paediatric and adult patients with T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukaemia or T-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma, nelarabine induced a complete response, with or without complete haematological recovery, in approximately one-fifth of patients who had not responded to, or had relapsed following treatment with, two or more prior chemotherapy regimens.
▴ The median overall survival time was 13.1 and 20.6 weeks in paediatric and adult patients, with corresponding 1-year survival rates of 14% and 29%.
▴ Treatment-emergent adverse events were common, but non-haematological events were mostly of mild or moderate severity.
▴ Neurological events, which may be severe and irreversible, were the most likely adverse events to limit treatment.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.European Medicines Agency. Atriance: scientific discussion [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/Humans/EPAR/atriance/atriance.htm [Accessed 2007 Dec 6]
- 4.Cancer Research UK. UK Non-Hodgkins lymphoma statistics [online]. Available from URL: http://info.cancer-researchuk.org/cancerstats [Accessed 2007 Dec 13]
- 12.Gandhi V, Rodriguez Jr C, Kisor DF, et al. Rationale and design of pharmacologically directed clinical trials of GW506U in refractory hematologic malignancies. Blood 1997 Nov 15; 90 Suppl. 1 (Pt 2): 241Google Scholar
- 20.GlaxoSmithKline. Arranon® (nelarabine): US prescribing information [online]. Available from URL: http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_arranon.pdf [Accessed 2007 Nov 22]
- 21.European Medicines Agency. Atriance (nelarabine): summary of product information [online]. Available from URL: http://www.emea.europa.eu/humandocs/PDFs/EPAR/atriance/H-752-PI-en.pdf [Accessed 2007 Dec 6]
- 24.Gokbuget N, Arnold R, Atta J, et al. High single drug activity of compound GW506U78 in relapsed T-lymphoblastic leukemia (T-ALL) and T-lymphoblastic lymphoma (T-LBL) offers option for cure with stem cell transplantation [abstract no. 0397]. Haematologica 2005 Jun; 90 Suppl. 2: 157Google Scholar
- 25.US FDA Centre for Drug Evaluation and Research. Nelarabine review [online]. Available from URL: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm [Accessed 2007 Nov 9]
- 26.National Cancer Institute. Common toxicity criteria [online]. Available from URL: http://www.fda.gov/cder/cancer/toxicityframe [Accessed 2007 Dec 9]
- 27.US National Institutes of Health. Combination chemotherapy in treating young patients with newly diagnosed T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia [online]. Available from URL: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=leukemia+and+nelarabine [Accessed 2008 Jan 28]