A full multigrid method for semilinear elliptic equation
- 82 Downloads
A full multigrid finite element method is proposed for semilinear elliptic equations. The main idea is to transform the solution of the semilinear problem into a series of solutions of the corresponding linear boundary value problems on the sequence of finite element spaces and semilinear problems on a very low dimensional space. The linearized boundary value problems are solved by some multigrid iterations. Besides the multigrid iteration, all other efficient numerical methods can also serve as the linear solver for solving boundary value problems. The optimality of the computational work is also proved. Compared with the existing multigrid methods which need the bounded second order derivatives of the nonlinear term, the proposed method only needs the Lipschitz continuation in some sense of the nonlinear term.
Keywordssemilinear elliptic problem full multigrid method multilevel correction finite element method
MSC 201065N30 65N25 65L15 65B99
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. A. Adams: Sobolev Spaces. Pure and Applied Mathematics 65, Academic Press, New York, 1975.Google Scholar
- J. H. Bramble: Multigrid Methods. Pitman Research Notes in Mathematics Series 294, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1993.Google Scholar
- S. C. Brenner, L. R. Scott: The Mathematical Theory of Finite Element Methods. Texts in Applied Mathematics 15, Springer, New York, 1994.Google Scholar
- P. G. Ciarlet: The Finite Element Method for Elliptic Problems. Studies in Mathematics and Its Applications 4, North-Holland Publishing Company, Amsterdam, 1978.Google Scholar
- W. Hackbusch: Multi-Grid Methods and Applications. Springer Series in Computational Mathematics 4, Springer, Berlin, 1985.Google Scholar
- V. V. Shaidurov: Multigrid Methods for Finite Elements. Mathematics and Its Applications 318, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 1995.Google Scholar
- A. Toselli, O. B. Widlund: Domain Decomposition Methods—Algorithms and Theory. Springer Series in Computational Mathematics 34, Springer, Berlin, 2005.Google Scholar
- H. Xie: A multigrid method for nonlinear eigenvalue problems. Sci. Sin., Math. 45 (2015), 1193–1204. (In Chinese.)Google Scholar