On the effect of numerical integration in the finite element solution of an elliptic problem with a nonlinear Newton boundary condition
- 12 Downloads
This paper is concerned with the analysis of the finite element method for the numerical solution of an elliptic boundary value problem with a nonlinear Newton boundary condition in a two-dimensional polygonal domain. The weak solution loses regularity in a neighbourhood of boundary singularities, which may be at corners or at roots of the weak solution on edges. The main attention is paid to the study of error estimates. It turns out that the order of convergence is not dampened by the nonlinearity if the weak solution is nonzero on a large part of the boundary. If the weak solution is zero on the whole boundary, the nonlinearity only slows down the convergence of the function values but not the convergence of the gradient. The same analysis is carried out for approximate solutions obtained by numerical integration. The theoretical results are verified by numerical experiments.
Keywordselliptic equation nonlinear Newton boundary condition weak solution finite element discretization numerical integration error estimation effect of numerical integration
MSC 201065N30 65N15 65D30
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Alnœs, J. Blechta, J. Hake, A. Johansson, B. Kehlet, A. Logg, C. Richardson, J. Ring, M. E. Rognes, G. N. Wells: The FEniCS Project Version 1.5. Archive of Numerical Software 3 (2015), 9–23.Google Scholar
- P. G. Ciarlet: The Finite Element Method for Elliptic Problems. Studies in Mathematics and Its Applications 4, North Holland, Amsterdam, 1978.Google Scholar
- V. Dolejší, M. Feistauer: Discontinuous Galerkin Method. Analysis and Applications to Compressible Flow. Springer Series in Computational Mathematics 48, Springer, Cham, 2015Google Scholar
- L. C. Evans: Partial Differential Equations. Graduate Studies in Mathematics 19, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 2010.Google Scholar
- M. Feistauer, K. Najzar, V. Sobotíková: Error estimates for the finite element solution of elliptic problems with nonlinear Newton boundary conditions. 20 (1999), 835–851Google Scholar
- M. Feistauer, F. Roskovec, A.-M. Sändig: Discontinuous Galerkin method for an elliptic problem with nonlinear Newton boundary conditions in a polygon. IMA J. Numer. Anal. 39 (423–453).Google Scholar
- B. Fornberg: A Practical Guide to Pseudospectral Methods. Cambridge Monographs on Applied and Computational Mathematics 1, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1996.Google Scholar
- K. Harriman, P. Houston, B. Senior, E. Süli: hp-version discontinuous Galerkin methods with interior penalty for partial differential equations with nonnegative characteristic form. Recent Advances in Scientific Computing and Partial Differential Equations 2002 (S. Y. Cheng et al., eds.). Contemp. Math. 330; American Mathematical Society, Providence, 2003, pp. 89–119.Google Scholar
- M. Křížek, L. Liu, P. Neittaanmäki: Finite element analysis of a nonlinear elliptic problem with a pure radiation condition. Applied Nonlinear Analysis (A. Sequeira et al., eds.). Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers, New York, 1999, pp. 271–280.Google Scholar