Extraction of manganese oxide ore by a reduction acidolysis-selective leaching method
A process for recovering manganese from low-grade manganese oxide ore through a reduction acidolysis-selective leaching method is investigated. Two types of biomass, sawdust and straw, were used as reductants. Reduction acidolysis, using concentrated sulfuric acid, was used to disrupt the structure of the biomass, allowing the biomass to be hydrolyzed into monosaccharides. Analysis by X-ray diffraction revealed that Mn2O3 was reduced to MnSO4. Then, in the selective leaching process, iron was removed through the formation of goethite. The optimized experimental parameters are as follows: reductant to ore mass ratio of 0.4, sulfuric acid to ore mass ratio of 0.9, water to ore ratio of 0.5, aging time of 18 h, leaching temperature of 95 °C, leaching time of 90 min, and solution pH of 2.5 to 2.8. Under these conditions and using sawdust as the reductant, the manganese leaching efficiency and iron removal efficiency were 91.8 and 99.2 percent, respectively.
Key wordsLow-grade manganese oxide ore Reduction acidolysis Biomass
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Burhenne, L., Messmer, J., Aicher, T., and Laborie, M.P., 2013, “The effect of the biomass components lignin, cellulose and hemicellulose on TGA and fixed bed pyrolysis,” Journal of Analytical & Applied Pyrolysis, Vol. 101, No. 101, pp. 177–184, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jaap.2013.01.012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ekmekyapar, A., Asin, C., Demirkiran, N., Künkül, A., Baysar, A., and Ceylan, K., 2012, “Reductive leaching of pyrolusite ore by using sawdust for production of manganese sulfate,” Russian Journal of Non-Ferrous Metals, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 211–217, https://doi.org/10.3103/s1067821212030054.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Feng, Y.L., Zhang, S.Y., Li, H.R., 2016, “Reductive leaching of manganese from low-grade pyrolusite ore in sulfuric acid using pyrolysis-pretreated sawdust as a reductant,” International Journal of Minerals, Metallurgy and Materials, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp. 241–246, https://doi.org/10.1007/s12613-016-1232-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hariprasad, D., Dash, B., Ghosh, M.K., and Anand, S., 2009, “Mn recovery from medium grade ore using a waste cellulosic reductant,” Indian Journal of Chemical Technology, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 322–327.Google Scholar
- Ismail, A.A., Ali, E.A., Ibrahim, I.A., and Ahmed, M.S., 2004, “A comparative study on acid leaching of low grade manganese ore using some industrial wastes as reductants,” Canadian Journal of Chemical Engineering, Vol. 82, No. 6, pp. 1296–1300, https://doi.org/10.1002/cjce.5450820618.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, Y.H., Jin, S.L., Lv, Y., Zhang, Y.J., and Su. H.F., 2017, “Hydrometallurgical process and kinetics of leaching manganese from semi-oxidized manganese ores with sucrose,” Minerals, Vol. 7, No. 2, pp. 27, https://doi.org/10.3390/min7020027.
- Xue, J.R., Zhong, H., Wang, S., Li, C.X., Li, J.Z., and Wu, F.F., 2014, “Kinetics of reduction leaching of manganese dioxide ore with phytolacca americana in sulfuric acid solution,” Journal of Saudi Chemical Society, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp. 437–442, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jscs.2014.09.011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, X., Liu, Z., Wu, X., Du, J., and Tao, C., 2017, “Electric field enhancement in leaching of manganese from low-grade manganese dioxide ore: kinetics and mechanism study,” Journal of Electroanalytical Chemistry, Vol. 788, pp. 165–174, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jelechem.2017.02.009.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, Y.B., Zhao, Y., You, Z.X., Duan, D.X., Li, G.H., and Jiang, T., 2015, “Manganese extraction from high-iron content manganese oxide ores by selective reduction roasting-acid leaching process using black charcoal as reductant,” Journal of Central South University, Vol. 22, No. 7, pp. 2515–2520, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11771-015-2780-7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar