Revisiting the mechanism of cementation: The role of hydrogen species in acidic aqueous media
This paper presents the results of an analysis and summary of relevant literature on the mechanism of cementation of metals in acidic aqueous media, with the aim of reconsidering the conventional assumptions. The simplicity of the process as a mere galvanic metal displacement is discussed, and the real effects of pH and hydrogen pressure in different cases assessed. Finally, an alternative mechanism scheme with respect to the role of hydrogen species, in agreement with reported data, is proposed.
Key wordsCementation Acids Precious metals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agrawal, R.D., and Kapoor, M.L., 1982, “Theoretical considerations of the cementation of copper with iron,” Journal of the Southern African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Vol. 82, No. 4, pp. 106–111.Google Scholar
- Darintseva, A.B., Murashova, I.B., Artamonov, V.V., and Artamonov, V.P., 2007, “Growth dynamics and structural variations of a friable metal deposit during its contact deposition from aqueous solutions,” Russian Journal of Electrochemistry, Vol. 43, No. 2, pp. 157–166, https://doi.org/10.1134/s1023193507020048.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Elges, C.H., 1975, “Pressure Cementation Process for Recovery of Copper from Solution” U.S. Patent No. 3,877,932, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Fu, B., Ure, A.M., and West, T.S., 1983, “Column cementation on aluminium powder as a preconcentration technique for trace element determinations by spark-source mass spectrometry: Part 1. Copper, lead, ruthenium and the noble metals,” Analytica Chimica Acta, Vol. 152, pp. 95–104, https://doi.org/10.1016/s0003-2670(00)84899-0.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gladysheva, T.D., Filatov, A.Y., and Podlovchenko, B.I., 2015, “Modification of platinum electrodeposits with an ultralow amount of palladium through the galvanic displacement of hydrogen and copper adatoms,” Mendeleev Communications, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 56–58, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.men-com.2015.01.021.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gould, J.P., Khudenko, B.M., and Wiedeman, H.F., 1987, “The kinetics and yield of the magnesium cementation of cadmium,” Metals Speciation Separation and Recovery, Vol. 1, p. 175.Google Scholar
- Gould, J.P., Masingale, M.Y., and Miller, M., 1984, “Recovery of silver and mercury from COD samples by iron cementation,” Journal (Water Pollution Control Federation), pp. 280–286.Google Scholar
- Gremm, W., 1986, “Process for the Treatment of Hydrochloric Acid Pickles Containing Iron and Zinc” U.S. Patent No. 4,591,489, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Ivanus, R., and Ivanus, D., 2009, “Obtaining of copper metallic powders from worn-out catalysts using the iron cementation procedure,” Revista De Chimie, Vol. 60, No. 8, pp. 767–769.Google Scholar
- Kamecki, J., and Sedzimir, J., 1955, Arch. Górn, i Hutn., III, 379.Google Scholar
- Khudenko, B.M., 1987, “Mathematical models of cementation processes,” Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol. 113, No. 4, pp. 681–702, https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)0733-9372(1987)113:4(681).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lai, Y.C., Wei, W.Y, Ju, Y.H., and Lee, C.P., 1996, “Kinetics of the chelated copper cementation on aluminum particles in a rotary drum reactor,” Journal of the Chinese Institute of Chemical Engineers, Vol. 27, No. 2, pp. 101–106.Google Scholar
- Li, J., Safarzadeh, M.S., Moats, M.S., Miller, J.D., LeVier, K.M., Dietrich, M., and Wan, R.Y., 2012, “Thiocyanate hydrometallurgy for the recovery of gold. Part V: Process alternatives for solution concentration and purification” Hydrometallurgy, Vol. 113, pp. 31–38, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hydromet.2011.11.008.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Martin, V.W., 2002, “Process for Preparing Iron Free Zinc Oxide” U.S. Patent Application No. 10/323,418.Google Scholar
- Martin, V.W., 2003, “Process for Separation and Removal of Iron Ions from Basic Zinc Solution” U.S. Patent No. 6,514,414, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- MettlerToledo, 2016, “Corrosion Rate” Basics of Titration, http://www.tpub.com/doechem1/chem133.htm.
- Miller, J.D., 1981, “Solution concentration and purification” Metallurgical Treatises, J.K. Tien and J.F. Elliot, eds., AIME, New York, pp. 95–116.Google Scholar
- Mishra, K.G., and Paramguru, R.K., 1999, “Studies on cementation of copper from sulphate solutions onto zinc metal” Transactions of the Indian Institute of Metals, Vol. 52, No. 2–3, pp. 109–113.Google Scholar
- Panswad, T., Polprasert, C., and Yamamoto, K., eds., 2013, “Removal of Soluble Mercury” Water Pollution Control in Asia: Proceedings of Second IAWPRC Asian Conference on Water Pollution Control, Bangkok, Thailand, Nov. 9–11, 1988, Elsevier, Amsterdam, p. 443.Google Scholar
- Sedzimir, J., 1991, “Displacement as a particular case of corrosion. Corrosion of Metals and Hydrogen Related Phenomena,” Materials Science Monographs, PWN Warsaw, Elsevier, Amsterdam, Vol. 59, pp. 180–219, https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-444-98793-8.50012-4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Soler, L., Macanás, J., Muñoz, M., and Casado, J., 2007, “Synergistic hydrogen generation from aluminum, aluminum alloys and sodium borohydride in aqueous solutions,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 32, No. 18, pp. 4702–4710, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2007.06.019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Soler, L., Candela, A.M., Macanas, J., Munoz, M., and Casado, J., 2009, “Hydrogen generation by aluminum corrosion in seawater promoted by suspensions of aluminum hydroxide” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 34, No. 20, pp. 8511–8518, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhydene.2009.08.008.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Spink, R.D., Robinson, M.C., and Nguyen, K.D., 1991, “Process for Treating Zinc Oxide Bearing Materials” U.S. Patent No. 5,017,346, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Stewart, M.L., 1982, “Separative Treatment of Zinc-Bearing Flue Dust,” U.S. Patent No. 4,355,009, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Strickland, P.H., and Lawson, F., 1973, “The measurement and interpretation of cementation rate data” International Symposium on Hydrometallurgy, AIME, New York, Vol. 236, pp. 293–330.Google Scholar
- Timur, S., Cetinkaya, O., Erturk, S., and Orhan, G., 2005, “Investigating silver cementation from nitrate solutions by copper in forced convection systems” Minerals & Metallurgical Processing, Vol. 22, No. 4, pp. 205–210.Google Scholar
- Viñals, J., Juan, E., Ruiz, M., Ferrando, E., Cruells, M., Roca, A., and Casado, J., 2006, “Leaching of gold and palladium with aqueous ozone in dilute chloride media” Hydrometallurgy, Vol. 81, No. 2, pp. 142–151, https://doi.org/10.10164/j.hydromet.2005.12.004.