The synthetic opioid epidemic and the need for mental health support for first responders who intervene in overdose cases
- 191 Downloads
We would like to thank Caimen Yen for the editorial assistance on this letter. In addition, we would like to thank the Vancouver Area Network of Drug Users’(VANDU) board members who read the earlier draft of this manuscript and appointed an author to work with us on this letter.
The contribution by EJ was supported by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Postdoctoral Fellowship (201511MFE-358449-223266).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Buajordet, I., Næss, A. C., Jacobsen, D., & Brørs, O. (2004). Adverse events after naloxone treatment of episodes of suspected acute opioid overdose. Eur J Emerg Med, 11(1), 19–23. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.mej.0000114321.47474.d2.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Davis, C. S., Ruiz, S., Glynn, P., Picariello, G., & Walley, A. Y. (2014). Expanded access to naloxone among firefighters, police officers, and emergency medical technicians in Massachusetts. Am J Public Health, 104(8), e7–e9. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2014.302062.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Greden, J. F., Valenstein, M., Spinner, J., Blow, A., Gorman, L. A., Dalack, G. W., Marcus, S., & Kees, M. (2010). Buddy-to-buddy, a citizen soldier peer support program to counteract stigma, PTSD, depression, and suicide. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1208(1), 90–97. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2010.05719.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gross, R. A., Neria, Y., Tao, X. G., Massa, J., Ashwell, L., Davis, K., & Geyh, A. (2006). Posttraumatic stress disorder and other psychological sequelae among World Trade Center clean up and recovery workers. Ann N Y Acad Sci, 1071(1), 495–499. https://doi.org/10.1196/annals.1364.051.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Nowotny, K. M., Perdue, T., Cepeda, A., & Valdez, A. (2017). Mental health of heroin users with differing injection drug use histories: a non-treatment sample of Mexican American young adult men. Drug Alcohol Depen, 181, 124–131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2017.08.041.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Plotzker, R. E., Metzger, D. S., & Holmes, W. C. (2007). Childhood sexual and physical abuse histories, PTSD, depression, and HIV risk outcomes in women injection drug users: a potential mediating pathway. Am J Addiction, 16(6), 431–438. https://doi.org/10.1080/10550490701643161.CrossRefGoogle Scholar