Complete fuzzy scheduling and fuzzy earned value management in construction projects
- 698 Downloads
This paper aims to present a comprehensive proposal for project scheduling and control by applying fuzzy earned value. It goes a step further than the existing literature: in the formulation of the fuzzy earned value we consider not only its duration, but also cost and production, and alternatives in the scheduling between the earliest and latest times. The mathematical model is implemented in a prototypical construction project with all the estimated values taken as fuzzy numbers. Our findings suggest that different possible schedules and the fuzzy arithmetic provide more objective results in uncertain environments than the traditional methodology. The proposed model allows for controlling the vagueness of the environment through the adjustment of the α-cut, adapting it to the specific circumstances of the project.
Key wordsConstruction Earned value method (EVM) Fuzzy logic Fuzzy set Project management Scheduling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anbari, F.T., 2003. Earned value project management: Methods and extensions. Project Management Journal, 34(4): 12–23.Google Scholar
- Fleming, Q.W., Koppelman, J.M., 1998. Earned value project management. The Journal of Defense Software Engineering, 16(1):19–23.Google Scholar
- Kuchta, D., 2005. Fuzzyfication of the earned value method. WSEAS Transactions on Systems, 4(12):2222–2237.Google Scholar
- Lipke, W., 2003. Schedule is Different. The Measurable News, March & Summer, p.31–34. Available from http://www.earnedschedule.com/Docs/Schedule%20is%20Different.pdf [Accessed on May 20, 2011].
- Lipke, W., Zwikael, O., Henderson, K., Anbari, F.T., 2009. Prediction of project outcome: The application of statistical methods to earned value management and earned schedule performance indexes. International Journal of Project Management, 27(4):400–407. [doi:10.1016/j.ijproman.2008.02.009]CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Noori, S., Bagherpour, M., Zareei, A., 2008. Applying fuzzy control charts in earned value analysis: A new application. World Applied Sciences Journal, 3(4):684–690.Google Scholar
- Pellicer, E., Pellicer, T.M., Catalá, J., 2009. An integrated control system for SMEs in the construction industry. Revista de la Construcción, 8(2):4–17.Google Scholar
- Ponz-Tienda, J.L., 2010. Robust GRCPSP based on Production Processes for Construction Projects. PhD Thesis, Universitat Politècnica de València, Valencia (in Spanish).Google Scholar