Experimental investigation of an adjustable ejector for CO2 heat pump water heaters
- 203 Downloads
An adjustable ejector expansion device for a CO2 heat pump water heater (HPWP) is proposed to improve the system performance. It has been designed to investigate experimentally the effects of the motive nozzle throat area of the ejector, entrained flow pressure, back pressure and primary flow pressure on the entrainment ratio. Experiments based on different motive nozzle throat areas were conducted and the results of the prototype ejector using CO2 as working fluid are presented. The results show that an adjustable ejector can achieve high performance and work well in a wide range of working conditions.
Key wordsAdjustable ejector System performance CO2 heat pump water heater (HPWH) Entrainment ratio
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Boumaraf, L., Lallemand, A., 2008. Modeling of an ejector refrigerating system operating in dimensioning and off-dimensioning conditions with the working fluids R142b and R600a. Applied Thermal Engineering, 29(2–3):265–274. [doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2008.02.020]Google Scholar
- Gay, N.H., 1931. Refrigerating System. US Patent No. 1,836,318.Google Scholar
- Groll, E.A., 2006. Recent Advances in the Transcritical CO2 Cycle Technology. Eighth National and Seventh ISHMT-ASME Heat and Mass Transfer Conference, IIT Guahati, India.Google Scholar
- Hrnjak, P.S., 2006. Improvement Options for CO2 and R134a Systems. MAC Summit, Saalfelden, Austria.Google Scholar
- Jeong, J., Saito, K., Kawai, S., Yoshikawa, C., Hattori, K., 2004. Efficiency Enhancement of Vapor Compression Refrigerator Using Natural Working Fluids with Two-phase Flow Ejector. Proceedings of 6th IIR-Gustav Lorentzen Conference, IIF/IIR, Glasgow, UK.Google Scholar
- Keenan, J.H., Neumann, E.P., Lustwerk, F., 1950. An investigation of ejector design by analysis and experiment. Journal of Applied Mechanics, 17(3):299–309.Google Scholar
- Kornhauser, A.A., 1990. The Use of an Ejector as a Refrigerant Expander. Proceedings of USNCR/IIR-Purdue Refrigeration Conference, USNCR/IIR, USA.Google Scholar
- Liu, J.P., Chen, J.P., Chen, Z.J., 2002. Thermodynamic Analysis on Transcritical R744 Vapor-compression/Ejection Hybrid Refrigeration Cycle. Proceedings of 5th IIR-Gustav Lorentzen Conference, IIF/IIR, Guangzhou, China.Google Scholar
- Stoecker, W.F., 1958. Steam-jet Refrigeration. Refrigeration and Air Conditioning, McGraw-Hill, New York, p.194–205.Google Scholar
- Zha, S., Jakobsen, A., 2007. Design and Parametric Investigation on Ejector for R744 Transcritical System. Proceedings of International Congress of Refrigeration, Beijing, China.Google Scholar