Multivariate statistical analysis for the surface water quality of the Luan River, China
- 273 Downloads
In order to analyze the characteristics of surface water resource quality for the reconstruction of old water treatment plant, multivariate statistical techniques such as cluster analysis and factor analysis were applied to the data of Yuqiao Reservoir—surface water resource of the Luan River, China. The results of cluster analysis demonstrate that the months of one year were divided into 3 groups and the characteristic of clusters was agreed with the seasonal characteristics in North China. Three factors were derived from the complicated set using factor analysis. Factor 1 included turbidity and chlorophyll, which seemed to be related to the anthropogenic activities; factor 2 included alkaline and hardness, which were related to the natural characteristic of surface water; and factor 3 included Cl and NO2-N affected by mineral and agricultural activities. The sinusoidal shape of the score plots of the three factors shows that the temporal variations caused by natural and human factors are linked to seasonality.
Key wordsSurface water quality Cluster analysis Factor analysis Temporal variation of scores
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams, M.J., 1998. The Principles of Multivariate Data Analysis. In: Ashurst, P.R., Dennis, M.J. (Eds.), Analytical Methods of Food Authentication. Blackie Academic & Professional, London, UK, p.350.Google Scholar
- Anazawa, K., Ohmori, H., Tomiyasu, T., Sakamoto, H., 2003. Hydrochemistry at a volcanic summit area, Norikura, central Japan. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 67(18S):17.Google Scholar
- Simeonova, P., Simeonov, V., Andreev, G., 2003. Water quality study of the Struma River Basin, Bulgaria. Central European Journal of Chemistry, 2:121–136.Google Scholar
- Unmesh, C.P., Sanjay, K.S., Prasant, R., Binod, B.N., Dinabandhu, B., 2006. Application of factor and cluster analysis for characterization of river and estuarine water systems—A case study: Mahanadi River (India). Journal of Hydrology, 331(3–4):434–445.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L., Chen, C.J., Chen, Y.Y., 2007. Sanitary standard for drinking water of China. Chinese Journal of Public Health, 23(11):1281–1282 (in Chinese).Google Scholar