Transient imaging with a time-of-flight camera and its applications
- 77 Downloads
Transient imaging is a technique in photography that records the process of light propagation before it reaches a stationary state such that events at the light speed level can be observed. In this review we introduce three main models for transient imaging with a time-of-flight (ToF) camera: correlation model, frequency-domain model, and compressive sensing model. Transient imaging applications usually involve resolving the problem of light transport and separating the light rays arriving along different paths. We discuss two of the applications: imaging objects inside scattering media and recovering both the shape and texture of an object around a corner.
Key wordsTransient imaging Time-of-flight (ToF) camera Scattering media Around corners
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bhandari, A., Feigin, M., Izadi, S., et al., 2014. Resolving multipath interference in Kinect: an inverse problem approach. Proc. IEEE Sensors, p.614–617. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSENS.2014.6985073Google Scholar
- Heide, F., Hullin, M.B., Gregson, J., et al., 2013. Low-budget transient imaging using photonic mixer devices. ACM Trans. Graph., 32(4), Article 45. https://doi.org/10.1145/2461912.2461945Google Scholar
- Heide, F., Xiao, L., Heidrich, W., et al., 2014. Diffuse mirrors: 3D reconstruction from diffuse indirect illumination using inexpensive time-of-flight sensors. Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, p.3222–3229. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2014.418Google Scholar
- Kadambi, A., Whyte, R., Bhandari, A., et al., 2013. Coded time of flight cameras: sparse deconvolution to address multipath interference and recover time profiles. ACM Trans. Graph., 32(6), Article 167. https://doi.org/10.1145/2508363.2508428Google Scholar
- Kirmani, A., Hutchison, T., Davis, J., et al., 2009. Looking around the corner using transient imaging. Proc. IEEE 12th Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, p.159–166. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICCV.2009.5459160Google Scholar
- Lin, J.Y., Liu, Y.B., Hullin, M.B., et al., 2014. Fourier analysis on transient imaging with a multifrequency time-of-flight camera. Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, p.3230–3237. https://doi.org/10.1109/CVPR.2014.419Google Scholar
- Peters, C., Klein, J., Hullin, M.B., et al., 2015. Solving trigonometric moment problems for fast transient imaging. ACM Trans. Graph., 34(6), Article 220. https://doi.org/10.1145/2816795.2818103Google Scholar
- Velten, A., Wu, D., Jarabo, A., et al., 2013. Femtophotography: capturing and visualizing the propagation of light. ACM Trans. Graph., 32(4), Article ai]44. https://doi.org/10.1145/2461912.2461928Google Scholar