On modeling of electrical cyber-physical systems considering cyber security
- 168 Downloads
This paper establishes a new framework for modeling electrical cyber-physical systems (ECPSs), integrating both power grids and communication networks. To model the communication network associated with a power transmission grid, we use a mesh network that considers the features of power transmission grids such as high-voltage levels, long-transmission distances, and equal importance of each node. Moreover, bidirectional links including data uploading channels and command downloading channels are assumed to connect every node in the communication network and a corresponding physical node in the transmission grid. Based on this model, the fragility of an ECPS is analyzed under various cyber attacks including denial-of-service (DoS) attacks, replay attacks, and false data injection attacks. Control strategies such as load shedding and relay protection are also verified using this model against these attacks.
KeywordsCyber-physical systems Cyber attacks Cascading failure analysis Smart grid
CLC numberTM711 TP11
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baldick, R., Chowdhury, B., Dobson, I., et al., 2008. Initial review of methods for cascading failure analysis in electric power transmission systems. Proc. IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, p.1–8. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/PES.2008.4596430Google Scholar
- Bishop, M., 2002. Computer Security: Art and Science. Addison-Wesley Prefessional, USA.Google Scholar
- Dobson, I., Carreras, B.A., Lynch, V.E., et al., 2001. An initial model for complex dynamics in electric power system blackouts. Proc. Hawaii Int. Conf. on System Sciences, p.1–9.Google Scholar
- Huang, T.E., Sun, H.B., Guo, Q.L., et al., 2015. Knowledge management and security early warning based on big simulation data in power grid operation. Power Syst. Technol., 39(11):3080–3087 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Morris, R.G., Barthelemy, M., 2013. Interdependent networks: the fragility of control. Sci. Reports, 3:2764.1-2764.5. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep02764Google Scholar
- Parandehgheibi, M., Modiano, E., Hay, D., 2014. Mitigating cascading failures in interdependent power grids and communication networks. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Smart Grid Communications, p.242–247. http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/SmartGridComm.2014. 7007653Google Scholar
- Schneider, C.M., Yazdani, N., Araújo, N.A.M., et al., 2013. Towards designing robust coupled networks. Sci. Reports, 3:1969.1-1969.7. http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep01969Google Scholar
- Wang, S.Z., 2012. Power System Control and Dispatching Automation (2nd Ed.). China Electric Power Press, China (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Zhao, F., Sun, H.B., Huang, T.E., et al., 2015. Design and engineering application of automatic discovery system for critical flowgates and security operation rules in power grids. Autom. Elect. Power Syst., 39(1):117–123 (in Chinese).Google Scholar