Bacterial degradation of anthraquinone dyes
Anthraquinone dyes, which contain anthraquinone chromophore groups, are the second largest class of dyes after azo dyes and are used extensively in textile industries. The majority of these dyes are resistant to degradation because of their complex and stable structures; consequently, a large number of anthraquinone dyes find their way into the environment causing serious pollution. At present, the microbiological approach to treating printing and dyeing wastewater is considered to be an economical and feasible method, and reports regarding the bacterial degradation of anthraquinone dyes are increasing. This paper reviews the classification and structures of anthraquinone dyes, summarizes the types of degradative bacteria, and explores the possible mechanisms and influencing factors of bacterial anthraquinone dye degradation. Present research progress and existing problems are further discussed. Finally, future research directions and key points are presented.
Key wordsAnthraquinone dyes Bacterial degradation Degradation mechanism Influencing factor
本文综述了近年来细菌降解蒽醌染料的研究进展及机理, 以期为蒽醌染料废水的实际处理提供理 论依据。目前主要利用物理、化学及生物法处理 工业印染废水中的各种染料。与前两者相比, 生 物法具有经济且环保的特点。本文以蒽醌染料的 分类及结构为基础, 总结近年来已报道的蒽醌染 料高效降解细菌的多样性; 初步探讨细菌吸附、 降解蒽醌染料的机理与主要影响因素; 根据目前 的研究进展及存在问题, 提出细菌降解蒽醌染料 的研究方向。
关键词蒽醌染料 细菌降解 降解机理 影响因素
We thank Adebanjo O. OLUWAFUNMILAYO (College of Life Sciences, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China) for checking the English language.
- Cai JL, Huang Y, Li X, 2008. Cytological mechanisms of pollutants adsorption by biosorbent. Chin J Ecol, 27(6): 1005–1011 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- He JX, 2009. Dye Chemistry. China Textile & Apparel Press, Beijing, China (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hitz HR, Huber W, Reed RH, 1978. The absorption of dyes on activated sludge. J Soc Dyers Colour, 94(2):71–76.Google Scholar
- Rybczyńska-Tkaczyk K, Święciło A, Szychowski KA, et al., 2018. Comparative study of eco- and cytotoxicity during biotransformation of anthraquinone dye Alizarin Blue Black B in optimized cultures of microscopic fungi. Ecotoxicol Environ Safe, 147:776–787. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2017.09.037 Google Scholar
- Wang YZ, Pan Y, Zhu T, et al., 2018. Enhanced performance and microbial community analysis of bioelectrochemical system integrated with bio-contact oxidation reactor for treatment of wastewater containing azo dye. Sci Total Environ, 634:616–627. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.03.346 Google Scholar
- Yang F, Xie XH, Liu N, et al., 2017. On the effects and biotoxicity variations as a result of dye biodegradation by bacterial consortium FF. J Safet Environ, 17(2):654–659 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.13637/j.issn.1009-6094.2017.02.049 Google Scholar
- Zhang H, Zhang S, He F, et al., 2016. Characterization of a manganese peroxidase from white-rot fungus Trametes sp. 48424 with strong ability of degrading different types of dyes and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. J Hazard Mater, 320:265–277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2016.07.065 Google Scholar