A novel oncolytic adenovirus inhibits hepatocellular carcinoma growth
- 2 Downloads
To evaluate the inhibitory role of a novel oncolytic adenovirus (OA), GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5, on the growth of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC).
GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 was constructed by integrating Golgi protein 73 (GP73) promoter and sphingosine kinase 1 (SphK1)-short hairpin RNA (shRNA) into adenovirus serotype 5 (Ad5), and transfecting into HCC Huh7 cells and normal human liver HL-7702 cells. The expression of SphK1 and adenovirus early region 1 (E1A) was detected by quantitative real-time PCR (qRT-PCR) and western blot, respectively. Cell viability was detected by methylthiazolyldiphenyl-tetrazolium bromide (MTT) assay, and apoptotic rate was determined by flow cytometry. An Huh7 xenograft model was established in mice injected intratumorally with GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5. Twenty days after injection, the tumor volume and weight, and the survival time of the mice were recorded. The histopathological changes in tumor tissues were observed by hematoxylin-eosin (HE) staining and transmission electron microscopy (TEM).
Transfection of GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 significantly upregulated E1A and downregulated SphK1 in Huh7 cells, but not in HL7702 cells. GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 transfection significantly decreased the viability and increased the apoptotic rate of Huh7 cells, but had no effect on HL7702 cells. Intratumoral injection of GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 into the Huh7 xenograft mouse model significantly decreased tumor volume and weight, and prolonged survival time. It also significantly decreased the tumor infiltration area and blood vessel density, and increased the percentages of cells with nucleus deformation and cells with condensed chromatin in tumor tissues.
GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 serves as a novel OA and can inhibit HCC progression with high specificity and efficacy.
Key wordsHepatocellular carcinoma Oncolytic adenovirus Golgi protein 73 Sphingosine kinase 1
研究新型溶瘤腺病毒 GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 对肝癌 细胞生长的抑制作用。
GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 是一种新型的溶瘤腺病毒, 可以特异及有效地抑制肝癌细胞生长, 为肝癌的 临床治疗提供新思路。
通过整合高尔基体蛋白 73 (GP73) 及鞘氨基醇 及鞘氨基醇 激酶 1 (SphK1) 构建了 GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 腺 病毒, 进而转染肝癌 Huh7 细胞及正常 HL7702 肝细胞。通过实时定量 PCR 和蛋白印记实验检测 SphK1 和 E1A 基因的表达; 通过四氮唑盐比色分 析法 (MTT 法) 检测细胞活力; 通过流式细胞术 检测细胞凋亡率。构建 Huh7 异种移植小鼠模型 并注射 GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 腺病毒。 20 天后, 记 录小鼠肿瘤体积和重量, 以及存活时间。用苏木 精-伊红 (HE) 染色法和透射电镜 (TEM) 观察 肿瘤组织的病理变化。
GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 转染显著上调了 Huh7 细胞中 E1A 的表达, 下调了 SphK1 的表达, 降低了细胞 活性, 并提高了凋亡率, 然而对 HL7702 细胞无 明显影响。 Huh7 异种移植小鼠模型内注射 GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 显著降低了肿瘤的体积和重 量, 延长了小鼠的存活时间 并降低了肿瘤组织 中的肿瘤浸润面积、血管密度及核变形和染色质 浓缩的细胞数。
新型溶瘤腺病毒 GP73-SphK1sR-Ad5 可以特异和 有效地抑制肝癌进展。
关键词肝癌 溶瘤腺病毒 高尔基体蛋白 73 (GP73) 鞘氨基醇激酶1 (SphK1)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Yu-huan BAI, Xiao-jing YUN, and Yan XUE designed and analyzed data. Ting ZHOU, Xin SUN, and Yan-jing GAO revised the article critically for important intellectual content. All authors read and approved the final manuscript. Therefore, all authors have full access to all the data in the study and take responsibility for the integrity and security of the data.
Compliance with ethics guidelines
Yu-huan BAI, Xiao-jing YUN, Yan XUE, Ting ZHOU, Xin SUN, and Yan-jing GAO declare that they have no conflict of interest.
The use and care of experimental animals were approved by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Qilu Hospital of Shandong University (Shandong, China).
- Small EJ, Carducci MA, Burke JM, et al., 2006. A phase I trial of intravenous CG7870, a replication-selective, prostate-specific antigen-targeted oncolytic adenovirus, for the treatment of hormone-refractory, metastatic prostate cancer. Mol Ther 14(1): 107–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ymthe.2006.02.011 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang HX, Chen JM, Xu C, et al., 2017a. Cancer nanomedicines stabilized by Π-Π stacking between heterodimeric prodrugs enable exceptionally high drug loading capacity and safer delivery of drug combinations. Theranostics 7(15): 3638–3652. https://doi.org/10.7150/thno.20028 PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang HX, Zhou LQ, Xie K, et al., 2018. Polylactide-tethered prodrugs in polymeric nanoparticles as reliable nano-medicines for the efficient eradication of patient-derived hepatocellular carcinoma. Theranostics 8(14): 3949–3963. https://doi.org/10.7150/thno.26161 PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Xu L, Xu SJ, Wang HX, et al., 2018. Enhancing the efficacy and safety of doxorubicin against hepatocellular carcinoma through a modular assembly approach: the combination of polymeric prodrug design, nanoparticle encapsulation, and cancer cell-specific drug targeting. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces 10(4): 3229–3240. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b14496 PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yang L, Hu HL, Deng Y, et al., 2014. Role of SPHK1 regulates multi-drug resistance of small cell lung cancer and its clinical significance. Chin J Lung Cancer 17(11): 769–777 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.3779/j.issn.1009-3419.2014.11.01 Google Scholar
- Zhang CX, Liu H, Gong YY, et al., 2014. Inhibitions of SphK1 inhibitor SKI II on cell cycle progression and cell invasion of hepatoma HepG2 cells. Acta Pharm Sin 49(2): 204–208 (in Chinese).Google Scholar