Comparative transcriptomic analysis reveals adriamycin-induced apoptosis via p53 signaling pathway in retinal pigment epithelial cells
- 7 Downloads
This paper applied a transcriptomic approach to investigate the mechanisms of adriamycin (ADR) in treating proliferative vitreoretinopathy (PVR) using ARPE-19 cells.
The growth inhibitory effects of ADR on ARPE-19 cells were assessed by sulforhodamine B (SRB) assay and propidium iodide (PI) staining using flow cytometry. The differentially expressed genes between ADR-treated ARPE-19 cells and normal ARPE-19 cells and the signaling pathways involved were investigated by microarray analysis. Mitochondrial function was detected by JC-1 staining using flow cytometry and the Bcl-2/Bax protein family. The phosphorylated histone H2AX (γ-H2AX), phosphorylated checkpoint kinase 1 (p-CHK1), and phosphorylated checkpoint kinase 2 (p-CHK2) were assessed to detect DNA damage and repair.
ADR could significantly inhibit ARPE-19 cell proliferation and induce caspasedependent apoptosis in vitro. In total, 4479 differentially expressed genes were found, and gene ontology items and the p53 signaling pathway were enriched. A protein–protein interaction analysis indicated that the TP53 protein molecules regulated by ADR were related to DNA damage and oxidative stress. ADR reduced mitochondrial membrane potential and the Bcl-2/Bax ratio. p53-knockdown restored the activation of c-caspase-3 activity induced by ADR by regulating Bax expression, and it inhibited ADR-induced ARPE-19 cell apoptosis. Finally, the levels of the γ-H2AX, p-CHK1, and p-CHK2 proteins were up-regulated after ADR exposure.
The mechanism of ARPE-19 cell death induced by ADR may be caspase-dependent apoptosis, and it may be regulated by the p53-dependent mitochondrial dysfunction, activating the p53 signaling pathway through DNA damage.
Key wordsAdriamycin Proliferative vitreoretinopathy Retinal pigment epithelial p53 Apoptosis
通过比较阿霉素(ADR)作用的视网膜色素上皮细胞(ARPE-19)和正常ARPE-19 间的差异表达基因和信号通路,探究ADR 治疗玻璃体视网膜增殖性疾病的潜在机制。
采用磺酰罗丹明B(sulforhodamine B,SRB)比色法和碘化丙啶(PI)单染结合流式细胞术检测ADR 对ARPE-19 细胞的增殖抑制作用;通过基因芯片技术筛选ADR 作用的ARPE-19 细胞(实 验组)和正常ARPE-19 细胞(对照组)间的差异表达基因和相关信号通路;用JC-1 染色结合流式细胞术和Bcl2/Bax 蛋白表达比率检测线粒体功 能;通过检测γ-H2AX、p-CHK1、 p-CHK2 等蛋 白表达量分析DNA 的损伤和修复。
ADR 通过启动DNA 损伤反应,引起p53 信号通路依赖的线粒体功能失调并激活caspase 依赖的凋亡,最终导致ARPE-19 细胞死亡。
关键词阿霉素 玻璃体视网膜增殖性疾病 视网膜色素上皮层 p53 凋亡
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- di Marco A, Gaetani M, Scarpinato B, 1969. Adriamycin (NSC-123,127): a new antibiotic with antitumor activity. Cancer Chemother Rep, 53(1):33–37.Google Scholar
- Marchenko ND, Zaika A, Moll UM, 2000. Death signalinduced localization of p53 protein to mitochondria. A potential role in apoptotic signaling. J Biol Chem, 275(21): 16202–16212.Google Scholar
- Moritera T, Ogura Y, Yoshimura N, et al., 1992. Biodegradable microspheres containing adriamycin in the treatment of proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 33(11):3125–3130.Google Scholar
- Rong A, Li J, 2002. Intravitreal injection of doxorobicin and dexamethason in treatment of proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Natl Med J China, 82(8):546–548 (in Chinese). https://doi.org/10.3760/j:issn:0376-2491.2002.08.012 Google Scholar
- van Bockxmeer FM, Martin CE, Thompson DE, et al., 1985. Taxol for the treatment of proliferative vitreoretinopathy. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci, 26(8):1140–1147.Google Scholar
- Wickham L, Bunce C, Wong D, et al., 2007. Randomized controlled trial of combined 5-fluorouracil and lowmolecular-weight heparin in the management of unselected rhegmatogenous retinal detachments undergoing primary vitrectomy. Ophthalmology, 114(4):698–704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2006.08.042 Google Scholar