Critical review in adsorption kinetic models
- 9.2k Downloads
Adsorption is one of the most widely applied techniques for environmental remediation. Its kinetics are of great significance to evaluate the performance of a given adsorbent and gain insight into the underlying mechanisms. There are lots of references available concerning adsorption kinetics, and several mathematic models have been developed to describe adsorption reaction and diffusion processes. However, these models were frequently employed to fit the kinetic data in an unsuitable or improper manner. This is mainly because the boundary conditions of the associated models were, to a considerable extent, ignored for data modeling. Here we reviewed several widely-used adsorption kinetic models and paid more attention to their boundary conditions. We believe that the review is of certain significance and improvement for adsorption kinetic modeling.
Key wordsAdsorption kinetics Reaction models Diffusion models Film diffusion Intraparticle diffusion
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Banat, F., Al-Asheh, S., Makhadmeh, L., 2003. Preparation and examination of activated carbons from date pits impregnated with potassium hydroxide for the removal of methylene blue from aqueous solutions. Adsorption Science and Technology, 21(6):597–606. [doi:10.1260/026361703771953613]CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cheng, X.M., 2004. Study on the Treatment and Resource Reuse of Methyl Salycylate Industry Wastewater. MS Thesis, Nanjing University, China, p.39–56 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Cooney, D.O., 1999. Adsorption Design for Wastewater Treatment. Lewis Publishers, Boca Raton.Google Scholar
- Lagergren, S., 1898. About the theory of so-called adsorption of soluble substances. Kungliga Svenska Vetenskapsakademiens. Handlingar, 24(4):1–39.Google Scholar
- Meng, F.W., 2005. Study on a Mathematical Model in Predicting Breakthrough Curves of Fixed-bed Adsorption onto Resin Adsorbent. MS Thesis, Nanjing University, China, p.28–36 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Rudzinski, W., Panczyk, T., 2000. Kinetics of isothermal adsorption on energetically heterogeneous solid surfaces: a new theoretical description based on the statistical rate theory of interfacial transport. Journal of Physical Chemistry, 104(39):9149–9162. [doi:10.1021/jp000045m]CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Varshney, K.G., Khan, A.A., Gupta, U., Maheshwari, S.M., 1996. Kinetics of adsorption of phosphamidon on antimony(V) phosphate cation exchanger evaluation of the order of reaction and some physical parameters. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 113(1–2):19–23. [doi:10.1016/0927-7757(96)03546-7]CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, H.L., Chen, J.L., Zhai, Z.C., 2004. Study on thermodynamics and kinetics of adsorption of p-toluidine from aqueous solution by hypercrosslinked polymeric adsorbents. Environmental Chemistry, 23(2):188–192 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Xu, G.M., Shi, Z., Deng, J., 2006. Adsorption of antimony on IOCS: kinetics and mechanisms. Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae, 26(4):607–612 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Zeldowitsch, J., 1934. Über den mechanismus der katalytischen oxydation von CO an MnO2. Acta Physicochemical URSS, 1:364–449.Google Scholar