Analysis and behaviour of FRP-confined short concrete columns subjected to eccentric loading
- 323 Downloads
Fibre-reinforced polymer (FRP) composites were widely utilized in civil engineering structures as the retrofit of reinforced concrete (RC) columns. To design FRP jackets safely and economically, the behaviour of such columns should be predicted first. This paper is concerned with the analysis and behaviour of FRP-confined RC circular and rectangular short columns subjected to eccentric loading. A simple design-oriented stress-strain model for FRP-confined concrete in a section analysis was first proposed. The accuracy was then proved by two test data. Following that, a parametric study including amount of FRP confinement, FRP strain capacity, unconfined concrete strength and shape of column section is provided. Some conclusions were obtained at the end of the paper. The work here will provide a comprehensive understanding of the behaviour of FRP-confined concrete columns. The simplicity of the model also enables a simple equivalent stress block to be developed for direct use in practical design.
Key wordsColumn FRP confinement Stress-strain model Section analysis Strength Ductility
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- de Lorenzis, L., Tepfers, R., 2002a. Performance Assessment of FRP-confinement Models—Part I: Review of Experiments and Models. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Advanced Polymer Composites for Structural Applications in Construction. London, UK, p.251–260.Google Scholar
- de Lorenzis, L., Tepfers, R., 2002b. Performance Assessment of FRP-confinement Models—Part II: Comparison of Experiments and Predictions. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Advanced Polymer Composites for Structural Applications in Construction. London, UK, p.261–269.Google Scholar
- Mirmiran, A., Naguib, W., Shahawy, M., 2000. Principle and analysis of concrete filled composite tubes. Journal of Advanced Materials, 32(4):16–23.Google Scholar
- Saadatmanesh, H., Ehsani, M.R., Li, M.W., 1994. Strength and ductility of concrete columns externally reinforced with fiber composites straps. ACI Structural Journal, 91(4):434–447.Google Scholar
- Saadatmanesh, H., Ehsani, M.R., Jin, L., 1996. Seismic strengthening of circular bridge pier models with fiber composites. ACI Structural Journal, 93(6):639–647.Google Scholar
- Teng, J.G., Chen, J.F., Smith, S.T., Lam, L., 2002. FRP-Strengthened RC Structures. John Wiley and Sons, UK, p.238.Google Scholar