On robustness of an AMB suspended energy storage flywheel platform under characteristic model based all-coefficient adaptive control laws
- 3 Downloads
A characteristic model based all-coefficient adaptive control law was recently implemented on an experimental test rig for high-speed energy storage flywheels suspended on magnetic bearings. Such a control law is an intelligent control law, as its design does not rely on a pre-established mathematical model of a plant but identifies its characteristic model while the plant is being controlled. Extensive numerical simulations and experimental results indicated that this intelligent control law outperforms a μ-synthesis control law, originally designed when the experimental platform was built in terms of their ability to suppress vibration on the high-speed test rig. We further establish, through an extensive simulation, that this intelligent control law possesses considerable robustness with respect to plant uncertainties, external disturbances, and time delay.
Key wordsIntelligent control Robustness Uncertainty Disturbance rejection Active magnetic bearings Energy storage flywheels
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Brown GV, Kascak AF, Jansen RH, et al., 2005. Stabililizing gyroscopic modes in magnetic-bearing-supported flywheels by using cross-axis proportional gains. Proc AIAA Guidance, Navigation, and Control Conf and Exhibit, p.5955. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2005-5955Google Scholar
- Dever TP, Brown GV, Duffy KP, et al., 2004. Modeling and development of magnetic bearing controller for high speed flywheel system. 2nd Int Energy Conversion Engineering Conf, p.5626. https://doi.org/10.2514/6.2004-5626Google Scholar
- Lyu XJ, Di L, Lin ZL, et al., 2018b. Performance of AMB suspended energy sorage flywheel controllers in the presence of time delays. 16th Int Symp on Magentic Bearings.Google Scholar
- Schweitzer G, Maslen EH, 2009. Magnetic Bearings: Theory, Design, and Application to Rotating Machinery. Springer Berlin, Germany.Google Scholar
- Wu HX, Hu J, Xie YC, 2009. Characteristic Model-Based and Intelligent Adaptive Control. Science and Technology Press of China, Beijing, China (in Chinese).Google Scholar