Recommendation of RILEM TC237-SIB on fragmentation test for recycled asphalt
- 89 Downloads
This recommendation describes how to characterize the reclaimed asphalt through the fragmentation test. The guidelines given hereafter are based on the results of a round robin test organized by the RILEM Technical Committee 237-SIB ‘‘Testing and characterization of sustainable innovative bituminous materials and systems’’ and provide information on the testing procedure, data analysis and indications for the preparation of a test report.
KeywordsReclaimed asphalt (RA) Round robin test (RRT) Fragmentation test
Elie Hajj, Patrick Muraya, Giovanni Giacomello, Di Wang have contibuted equally to this work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Kennedy TW, Tam WO, Solaimanian M (1998) Optimizing use of reclaimed asphalt pavement with the Superpave system. J Assoc Asph Paving Technol 67:311–325Google Scholar
- 2.Mansour TN, Putman BJ (2012) Influence of aggregate gradation on the performance properties of porous asphalt mixtures. J Mater Civil Eng 25(2):281–288. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000602 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Isola M, Zou J, Roque R, Lopp G (2014) Evaluation of gradation-based criteria for cracking performance. Asphalt Pavements-Kim(Ed). Taylor & Francis Group, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 4.Isola M (2014) Effect of interstitial volume characteristics on asphalt mixture durability and cracking performance. PhD thesis, University of FloridaGoogle Scholar
- 5.Afaf AHM (2014) Effect of aggregate gradation and type on hot asphalt concrete mix properties. J Eng Sci Assiut Univ 42(3):567–574Google Scholar
- 7.Tebaldi G, Dave E, Marsac P, Muraya P, Hugener M, Pasetto M et al (2012a) Classification of recycled asphalt (RA) material. In: 2nd International symposium on asphalt pavements & environment, ISAP TC APE, Fortaleza. BrazilGoogle Scholar
- 8.Tebaldi G, Dave EV, Marsac P, Muraya P, Hugener M, Pasetto M et al (2012b) Synthesis of specimen preparation and curing processes for cold recycled Asphalt mixes. In: 2nd International symposium on asphalt pavements & environment, ISAP TC APE, Fortaleza. BrazilGoogle Scholar
- 10.McGarrah EJ (2007) Evaluation of current practices of reclaimed asphalt pavement/virgin aggregate as base course material (No. WA-RD 713.1)Google Scholar
- 11.EN 12697-42 (2012) Bituminous mixtures. Test methods for hot mix asphalt. Amount of foreign matter in reclaimed asphalt. European Committee for Standardization, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- 12.EN 13108–8 (2013) Bituminous mixtures—material specifications—part 8: reclaimed asphalt. European Committee for Standardization, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- 13.Recycling Cold (2010) Wirtgen cold recycling technology, 3rd edn. Wirtgen GmBH, WindhagenGoogle Scholar
- 14.EN 13286–2 (2012) Unbound and hydraulically bound mixtures—part 2: test methods for laboratory reference density and water content—proctor compaction. European Committee for Standardization, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- 15.ASTM D1557–12 (2012) Standard test methods for laboratory compaction characteristics of soil using modified effort (56,000 ft-lbf/ft3 (2700 kN-m/m3)). ASTM International, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 16.EN 12620 (2013) Aggregates for concrete. European Committee for Standardization, BrusselsGoogle Scholar