An introduction to wavelet analysis with applications to vegetation time series
Wavelets are relatively new mathematical tools that have proven to be quite useful for analyzing time series and spatial data. We provide a basic introduction to wavelet analysis which concentrates on their interpretation in the context of analyzing time series. We illustrate the use of wavelet analysis on time series related to vegetation coverage in the Arctic region.
KeywordsDiscrete wavelet transform Köppen classification Multiresolution analysis Time series analysis
Continuous Wavelet Transform
Discrete Wavelet Transform
Maximal Overlap Discrete Wavelet Transform
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beran, J. 1994. Statistics for Long Memory Processes, Chapman and Hall, New York.Google Scholar
- Bruce, A.G. and H.-Y. Gao. 1996. Applied Wavelet Analysis with S-PLUS, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- CAVM Team. 2003. Circumpolar Arctic Vegetation Map, Scale 1:7,500,000. Conservation of Arctic Flora and Fauna (CAFF) Map No. 1. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, Anchorage, Ak.Google Scholar
- Köppen, W.P. 1931. Grundriss de Klimakunde, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Mallat, S.G. 1999. A Wavelet Tour of Signal Processing, Second edition. Academic Press, San Diego.Google Scholar
- Milne, A.A. 1926. Winnie-the-Pooh, E.P. Dutton & Company, New York.Google Scholar
- Nason, G.P. and B. Silverman. 1995. The stationary wavelet transform and some statistical applications. In: A. Antoniadis and G. Oppenheim (eds), Wavelets and Statistics (Lecture Notes in Statistics, Volume 103). Springer-Verlag, New York. pp. 281–299.Google Scholar
- Percival, D.B., S. Sardy and A.C. Davison. 2001b. Wavestrapping time series: adaptive wavelet-based bootstrapping. In: W.J. Fitzgerald, R.L. Smith, A.T. Walden and P.C. Young (eds), Non-linear and Nonstationary Signal Processing. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, UK. pp. 442–470.Google Scholar
- Shiyatov, S.G. 2003. Rates of change in the upper treeline ecotone in the polar Ural mountains. Past Global Changes (PAGES) News, 11(1):8–10.Google Scholar
- Trewartha, G.T. and L.H. Horn. 1980. An Introduction to Climate Fifth edition, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- Wang, M. and J.E. Overland. 2004. Detecting Arctic climate change using Köppen climate classification. To appear in Climatic Change.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.