Measuring taxonomic diversity with parametric information functions
This paper discusses the measurement of taxonomic diversity of a given community or set of species. First, given D, the matrix of pairwise distances between species, I propose to summarize taxonomic diversity through Rényi’s information-theoretical parametric formalism on D. In this way, a family of taxonomic diversity indices is obtained which shows different sensitivity to the presence of species with different levels of taxonomic distinctness. The adequacy of information-theoretical indices for quantifying taxonomic diversity is discussed.
KeywordsDiversity profiles Information theory Rényi’s generalized information Schur-concavity Set monotonicity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bonchev, D. 1993. Information-Theoretic Indices for Characterization of Chemical Structure. Research Studies Press, Letchworth, UK.Google Scholar
- Faith, D.P 1995. Phylogenic pattern and the quantification of organismal biodiversity. In: D.L. Hawksworth (ed.), Biodiversity Measurement and Estimation. Chapman & Hall, London, pp. 45–58.Google Scholar
- Orlóci, L. 1991. Entropy and Information. SPB Academic Publishing, The Hague, NL.Google Scholar
- Patil, G.P. and C. Taillie. 1979. An overview of diversity. In: J.F. Grassle, G.P. Patil, W. Smith and C. Taillie (eds.), Ecological Diversity in Theory and Practice. International Co-operative Publishing House, Fairland, MD, pp. 3–27.Google Scholar
- Patil, G.P. and C. Taillie. 1982. Diversity as a concept and its measurement. J. Am. Stat. Ass. 77: 48–567.Google Scholar
- Pielou, E.C. 1975. Ecological Diversity. Wiley Interscience, New York.Google Scholar
- Rényi, A. 1961. On measures of entropy and information. In: G. Neyman (ed.), Proceedings of the fourth Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability. University of California Press, Berkeley, California, Vol. 1, pp. 547–561.Google Scholar
- Ricotta, C. 2002. Bridging the gap between ecological diversity indices and measures of biodiversity with Shannon’s entropy: comment to Izsák & Papp. Ecol. Model., in press.Google Scholar
- Solomon, D.L. 1979. A comparative approach to species diversity. In: J.F. Grassle, G.P. Patil, W. Smith and C. Taillie (eds.), Ecological Diversity in Theory and Practice. International Co-operative Publishing House, Fairland, MD, pp. 29–35.Google Scholar
- Taillie, C. 1979. Species equitability: a comparative approach. In: J.F. Grassle, G.P. Patil, W. Smith and C. Taillie (eds,). Ecological Diversity in Theory and Practice. International Co-operative Publishing House, Fairland, MD, pp. 51–62.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.