Linkage Mapping for Grain Iron and Zinc Content in F2 Population Derived from the Cross Between PAU201 and Palman 579 in Rice (Oryza sativa L.)
Molecular markers provide novel tools for linkage mapping of QTLs of target traits and can greatly enhance the efficacy of breeding programs to improve mineral (iron and zinc) density in rice. A F2 population derived from the cross between high-yielding (PAU201) and iron-rich (Palman 579) indica rice varieties displayed large variation for various physio-morphological traits including grain yield per plant and iron and zinc contents. Transgressive segregation for grain iron and/or zinc contents was noticed in some F2 individuals with one of the F2 plants having exceptionally higher iron (475.4 μg/g) as well as zinc (157.4 μg/g) contents. Grain iron content showed significant positive correlation (r = 0.523) with grain zinc content indicating the feasibility of improving iron and zinc levels simultaneously in rice grain. Two parental rice varieties displayed polymorphism at 76 of the 100 SSR loci, which were used to map the QTLs associated with mineral content in grains. Composite interval mapping (CIM) analysis by Win QTL cartographer 2.5 revealed a total of eleven QTLs for mineral content (eight for Fe and three for Zn) in rice grains on chromosomes 2, 3, 7, 10 and 12.
Keywordsbiofortification micronutrients linkage mapping QTL iron zinc
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anuradha, K., Agarwal, S., Batchu, A.K., Babu, A.P., Swamy, B.P.M., Longvah, T., Sarla, N. 2012. Evaluating rice germplasm for iron and zinc concentration in brown rice and seed dimensions. J. Phyto. 4:19–25.Google Scholar
- Brar, B., Jain, S., Singh, R., Jain, R.K. 2011. Genetic diversity for iron and zinc contents in a collection of 220 rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes. Indian J. Genet. 71:67–73.Google Scholar
- Fisher, R.A., Yates, F. 1963. Statistical tables for biological, agricultural and medicinal research, 6th edn. Oliver and Boyd, Edinburgh, UK, p. 63.Google Scholar
- Garcia-Oliveira, A.L., Tan, L., Fu, Y., Sun, C. 2009. Genetic identification of quantitative trait loci for contents of mineral nutrients in rice grain. J. Plant Biol. 51:84–92.Google Scholar
- Harvestplus 2012. Nutrients. https://doi.org/www.harvestplus.org/content/zinc
- Rohlf, F.J. 1993. NTSYS-PC: Numerical taxonomy and multivariate analysis system. Version 1.8. Exeter Software, New York, USA.Google Scholar
- Wang, S., Basten, C.J., Zeng, Z.B. 2012. Windows QTL Cartographer 2.5. Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC (https://doi.org/statgen.ncsu.edu/qtlcart/WQTLCart.htm)Google Scholar
- WHO 2012. Nutrition. https://doi.org/www.who.int/nutrition/topics/ida/en/index.html
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.