Evaluation of Seedling Resistance of Rice Germplasm Resources to Sheath Blight (Rhizoctonia solani)
Rice sheath blight, caused by Rhizoctonia solani, is the most serious disease in the southern rice producing regions of China. The use of resistant varieties is the most economic strategy to control the disease. In this paper, a seedling inoculation method was used to evaluate rice germplasm resources for resistance to sheath blight. A total of 363 rice varieties were evaluated with a set of R. solani isolates. The results indicated that the rice varieties generally lacked resistance to R. solani, and no highly resistant/immune (HR) variety was found. However, two varieties displayed clear resistance (R) and 37 showed moderate resistance (MR) to the fungus. Overall, hybrid rice varieties have better resistance than conventional rice varieties, and among hybrid rice varieties, those with the II-32A sterile line genetic background were the most resistant. The results also indicated significant interactions between rice varieties and pathogen isolates, suggesting that an understanding of local R. solani populations is needed when recommending varieties to local growers.
KeywordsRhizoctonia solani artificial inoculation disease response
- Chen, X., Wang, L., Zuo, S., Wang, Z., Chen, Z., Zhang, Y., Lu, G., Zhou, E., Guo, Z., Huang, S., Pan, X. 2009. Screening of varieties and isolates for identifying interaction between host and pathogen of rice sheath blight. Acta Phytopathologica Sin. 39:514–520.Google Scholar
- Chen, Z., Ying, S., Lu, F., Chen, S., Shi, A. 1994. A preliminary study on resistance evaluation of rice germplasm resources to sheath blight. Plant Protection 20:23.Google Scholar
- Chen, Z.-X., Zuo, S.-M., Wang, L.-P., Zhu, J.-K., Zhang, Y.-F., Wang, H., Ma, Y.-Y., Pan, X.-B. 2010. Disease resistance evaluation to sheath blight of commercialized japonica rice cultivars around tenth five-year plan in Jiangsu province. J. Yangzhou Univ. 31:31–35.Google Scholar
- Jia, Y., Singh, P., Eizenga, G.C., Lee, F.N., Cartwright, R.D. 2002. In vitro identification of cultivar responses to rice sheath blight pathogen Rhizoctonia solani. In: Wells, B.R. (ed.), Rice Research Studies 2002, Arkansas Agricultural Experimental Station Research Series 504, pp. 229–236. (https://doi.org/arkansasagnews.uark.edu/1321.htm)
- Jia, Y., Correa-Victoria, F., McClung, A., Zhu, L., Liu, G., Wamishe, Y., Xie, J., Marchetti, M.A., Pinson, S.R.M., Rutger, J.N., Correll, J.C. 2007. Rapid determination of rice cultivar responses to the sheath blight pathogen Rhizoctonia solani using a micro-chamber screening method. Plant Dis. 91:485–489.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jiang, W., Jin, M., Liu, D., Zhang, L., Ying, C. 1993. Resistant identification of Zhejiang native rice varieties to rice sheath blight. Acta Agriculturae Zhejiangensis 5:177–178.Google Scholar
- Liu, Y., Chen, Z., Ji, J., Liu, Y. 2006. Analysis on the resistance of rice varieties (lines) to rice sheath blight in Jiangsu Province. Jiangsu Agri. Sci. 34:27–28.Google Scholar
- Meng, Q., Liu, Z., Wang, H., Zhang, S., Wei, S. 2001. Research progress of rice sheath blight. J. Shenyang Agri. Univ. 32:376–381.Google Scholar
- Wang, Z., Zuo, S., Li, G., Chen, X., Chen, Z., Zhang, Y., Pan, X. 2009. Rapid identification technology of resistance to rice sheath blight in seedling stage. Acta Phytopathologica Sin. 39:174–182.Google Scholar
- Zuo, S.-M., Wang, Z.-B., Chen, X.-J., Gu, F., Zhang, Y.-F., Chen, Z.-X., Pan, X.-B. 2009. Evaluation of resistance of a novel rice germplasm YSBR1 to sheath blight. Acta Agronomica Sin. 35:608–614.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.