The Anthocyanin Content of Blue and Purple Coloured Wheat Cultivars and Their Hybrid Generations
- 1 Downloads
The anthocyanin content of spring and winter wheat cultivars and their hybrids with purple and blue coloured grains was evaluated under Hungarian growing conditions. In all 3 years the anthocyanin content of blue grained wheats was significantly higher than that of purple ones. Anthocyanin content was influenced by environmental factors. In the progenies of crosses between Hungarian hard red winter wheat cultivars and blue-grained varieties, the anthocyanin content of the grind was 21–157 mg/kg, while that of the flour was 5.3–17.4 mg/kg. Consequently, most of the anthocyanin content was in the bran. The high anthocyanin content of blue and purple wheat varieties can be applied successfully for elevating the anthocyanin content of bakery products if whole-meal flour or bran is used.
Keywordsblue aleurone phytochemical purple pericarp winter wheat Triticum aestivum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Baron, J., Siebenhandl-Ehn, S., Syed Jaafar, S.N.B., Böhmdorfer, S., Rosenau, T., Grausgruber, H. 2012. Purpurweizen — geht’s noch bunter? Steigerung des Anthocyangehaltes in Blaukorn- × Purpurweizen Kreuzungen (Purple wheat — how about more colour? Increase of the anthocyanin content in the crosses of blue and purple coloured wheats). 62. Tagung der Vereinigung der Pflanzenzüchter und Saatgutkaufleute Österreichs 2011 (Proc. of the meeting of plant breeders and seed distributors). Gumpenstein, Austria, pp. 87–90.Google Scholar
- Dykes L., Rooney, L.W. 2007. Phenolic compounds in cereal grains and their health benefits. Cereal Foods World 52:105–111.Google Scholar
- Keppenne V.D., Baenziger, P.S. 1990. Inheritance of the blue aleurone trait in diverse wheat crosses. Genome 47:215–223.Google Scholar
- Yang, W.-X., Jie, X.-L. 2007. Sunlight effect on pigment content of purple wheat. J. Triticeae Crops 2:1101–1105.Google Scholar
- Žofajová, A., Pšenáková, I., Havrlentová, M., Piliar, M. 2012. Accumulation of total anthocyanins in wheat grain. Pol’nohospodárstvo (Agriculture) 58:50–56.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.