Evaluation of Fusarium Head Blight Resistance in Wheat under High Infection Pressure in Field Conditions
Resistance of 28 winter wheat cultivars registered in the Czech Republic and ten potential sources of resistance to Fusarium head blight (FHB) was evaluated after artificial inoculation with Fusarium culmorum in field trials lasting for three years (2008, 2009, 2010). The data on deoxynivalenol (DON) content were supplemented by symptom scores and determination of% of Fusarium damaged grains and% reductions of grain weight per spike due to infection. The examined traits were significantly interrelated and showed high variation in all years. Significantly lower DON content, combined with relatively lower manifestation of the disease was observed in the modern, commercially grown cultivars Bakfis, Graindor, Sakura and Bodycek (catalogued in the Official Journal of EU), besides Novokrymka 102, PI 166910 (line resistant to dwarf and common bunt) and Arina, which could be effectively used in resistance breeding. However, the experiments performed under high infection pressure were also able to reveal high susceptibility to FHB in some commercially grown wheat cultivars, which may pose a serious threat to wheat production.
KeywordsFusarium head blight deoxynivalenol resistance winter wheat Triticum aestivum L
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bártová, Š., Šíp, V., Chrpová, J., Štočková, L. 2010. Implications for Fusarium head blight control from the survey of DON content in wheat grain samples collected in the Czech Republic. Úroda 58:8–10. (in Czech)Google Scholar
- Dumalasová, V., Bartoš, P. 2006. Wheat reaction to common bunt in the field and in the greenhouse. Czech J. Genet. Plant Breed. 42 (Special Issue):37–41.Google Scholar
- Goral, T. 2005. Sources of wheat resistance to fusarium head blight caused by Fusarium culmorum (W.G. Smith) Sacc. Biuletyn Instytutu Hodowli i Aklimatyzacji Roslin 235:115–131.Google Scholar
- Ittu, M., Saulescu, N.N., Ittu, G., Moldovan, M. 2002. Approaches in breeding wheat for resistance to Fusarium head blight (FHB) in Romania. Petria 12:67–72.Google Scholar
- Mesterházy, Á. 2003a. Control of Fusarium head blight of wheat by fungicides. In: Leonard, K.T., Bushnell, W.R. (eds), Fusarium Head Blight of Wheat and Barley. APS Press, St. Paul, MN, USA, pp. 363–380.Google Scholar
- Schmolke, M., Kalb, O., Schoen, C.C., Schondelmaier, J., Weyen, J., Grot, J., Schweizer, G., Hartl, L., Buerstmayr, H., Wenzel, G. 2011. Characterization of resistance to Fusarium head blight in European winter wheat by means of genome wide association analyses. In: Book of Abstracts of the 1st Congress of Cereal Biotechnology and Breeding, May 24–27, 2011, Szeged, Hungary, pp. 26–27.Google Scholar
- Šíp, V., Sýkorová, S., Stuchlíková, E., Chrpová, J. 2002. The effect of infection with Fusarium culmorum L. on deoxynivalenol content in grain of selected winter wheat varieties. J. Appl. Genet. 43A:319–332.Google Scholar