Wheat varieties released in Slovakia and their bread-making quality
The main goal of our work was to determine the composition of high-molecular-weight glutenin subunits (HMW-GS) in 84 cultivars of common wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) originating from eight European countries and registered in Slovakia. Eleven alleles and 18 allelic compositions were detected. The most frequent HMW-GS patterns were “Null”, 7 + 9, 5 + 10 and “Null”, 7 + 8, 5 + 10 which were observed in twenty-seven (31%) and fourteen (16.1%) cultivars, respectively. The allele 5 + 10, which has the strongest association with good bread-making quality, was present in 75% of analysed accessions. The wheat-rye 1BL/1RS translocation was identified in eleven cultivars.
Keywordswheat HMW-GS bread-making quality Glu-score Ry-score
- Draper, S.R. 1987. ISTA variety committee. Report of the working group for biochemical tests for cultivar identification 1983–1986. Seed Sci. Technol. 15: 431–434.Google Scholar
- Gálová, Z., Smolková, H., Michalik, I., Gregová, E. 1998. Prediction of breadmaking quality of wheat grain on the base of electrophoretic spectra of HMW glutenin subunits. Rostlinná vyroba 44: 111–116Google Scholar
- Gröger, S., Oberforster, M., Werteker, M., Grausgruber, H., Lelley, T. 1997. HMW glutenin subunit composition and bread making quality of Austrian grown wheats. Cereal Res. Commun. 25: 955–962.Google Scholar
- Kárpáti, M., Brieber, K., Kuroczi, L.G., Czirák, L., Lászity, R. 1995. Relationship between high molecular weight subunits of glutenin and breadmaking quality of Hungarian grown wheats. Acta Alimentaria 24: 47–54.Google Scholar
- Payne, P.I., Lawrence, G.J. 1983. Catalogue of alleles for the complex gene loci, Glu-A1, Glu-B1, Glu-D1, which code for high molecular weight subunits of glutenin in hexaploid wheat. Cereal Res. Commun. 11: 29–35.Google Scholar
- Sontag, T., Salovaara, H., Payne, P.I. 1986. The high-molecular-weight glutenin subunit composition of wheat varieties bred in Finland. J. Agric. Sci. 58: 151–156.Google Scholar
- Sontag-Strohm, T., Juuti, T. 1997. Association between gliadin and glutenin subunit alleles and baking quality in spring wheat cultivars and breeding lines grown in Finland. Acta Agric. Scand. Sect. B, Soil Plant Sci. 47: 106–111.Google Scholar
- Wrigley, C.W. 1992. Identification of Cereal Varieties by Gel Electrophoresis of the Grain Proteins. Springer Verlag, Heidelberg, Germany, pp. 17–41.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.