Physiologic specialization of wheat leaf rust (Puccinia triticina Eriks.) in the Czech Republic in 2005–2008
In 2005–2008 virulence of the wheat leaf rust population was studied on Thatcher near-isogenic lines with Lr1, Lr2a, Lr2b, Lr2c, Lr3a, Lr9, Lr10, Lr11, Lr15, Lr17, Lr19, Lr21, Lr23, Lr24, Lr26 and Lr28. Samples of leaf rust were obtained from different parts of the Czech Republic. A total of 233 wheat leaf rust isolates were analyzed. Resistance gene Lr9 was effective to all tested isolates as in the four previous years. Virulence to Lr19 (0.8% of the analysed isolates) was found. Gene Lr24 conditioned resistance to almost all collections and a lower frequency of virulence was also observed on Lr2a and Lr28. Twenty-six winter wheat cultivars, seven spring wheat cultivars and seven winter triticale cultivars registered in 2005–2008 were tested with 7 leaf rust isolates. Winter wheat cultivars Biscay, Mulan and Orlando were resistant to all isolates and were also resistant in field trials.
Keywordsleaf rust pathotypes Lr genes wheat triticale resistance
- Bartoš, P., Šebesta, J. 1971. Physiologic specialization of Puccinia recondita Rob. ex Desm. f. sp. tritici (Eriks) in Czechoslovakia in the years 1966–1969. Genetika a štechtǐní 7: 23–28. (In Czech)Google Scholar
- Bradová, J., Šašek, A. 2007. Optimalizace metod elektroforézy proteinù pro identifikaci odrùd pšenice (Triticum aestivum L.). (Optimization of methods of protein electrophoresis for the identification of wheat cultivars). VÚRV, v.v.i., Praha, 2007, 36 pp. ISBN 978-80-87011-10-2. (In Czech)Google Scholar
- Gultyaeva, E.I. 2007. Wheat Leaf Rust Survey in Russia in 2001–2006. XV. Congress of European Mycologists, Sankt Peterburg, September 16–21, 2007, Abstracts, p. 252.Google Scholar
- Gultyaeva, E., Walter, U., Kopahnke, D., Mikhailova, L. 2000. Virulence of Puccinia recondita Rob. ex Desm. f. sp. tritici in Germany and European part of Russia in 1996–1999. Acta Phytopathologica et Entomologica Hungarica 35: 409–412.Google Scholar
- Liatukas, Z. 2003. Virulence of winter wheat leaf rust isolates. Biologija (Lithuania) 1: 77–80.Google Scholar
- Limpert, E., Müller, K. 1994. Designation of pathotypes of plant pathogens. J. Phytopathol. 140: 364–358.Google Scholar
- Martynov, S.P., Dobrotvorskaya, I.V. 2006. Wheat-pedigree and identified alleles of genes. http://vurv.cz
- Mesterházy, A., Bartoš, P., Goyeau, H., Niks, R., Csösz, M., Andersen, O., Casulli, F., Ittu, M., Jones, E., Manisterski, J., Manninger, K., Pasquini, M., Rubiales, D., Schachermayr, G., Strzembicka, A., Szunics, L., Todorova, M., Unger, O., Vanco, B., Vida, G., Walther, U. 2000. European virulence survey for leaf rust in wheat. Agronomie 20: 793–804.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stakman, E.C., Stewart, P.M., Loegering, W.O. 1962. Identification of Physiologic Races of Puccinia graminis var. tritici. Agricultural Research Service E617. United States Department of Agriculture: Washington DC, USA.Google Scholar
- Šebesta, J., Bartoš, P. 1968. Physiologic specialization of wheat leaf rust (Puccinia recondita Rob. ex Desm. f. sp. tritici /Eriks./) in Czechoslovakia in the years 1962 and 1963. Ochrana Rostlin 4: 1–8. (In Czech)Google Scholar
- Šebesta, J., Bartoš, P. 1969. Physiologic specialization of wheat leaf rust in Czechoslovakia during 1964 and 1965. Ochrana Rostlin 5: 147–154. (In Czech)Google Scholar
- Winzeler, M., Mesterházy, A., Park, R.F., Bartoš, P., Csösz, M., Goyeau, H., Ittu, M., Jones, E., Löschenberger, F., Manninger, K., Pasquini, M., Richter, K., Rubiales, D., Schachermayr, G., Strzembicka, A., Trottet, M., Unger, O., Vida, G., Walther, U. 2000. Resistance of European winter wheat germplasm to leaf rust. Agronomie 20: 783–792.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.