Population Structure of the Fusarium Graminearum Species Complex from a Single Japanese Wheat Field Sampled in Two Consecutive Years
In this study we characterized Fusarium graminearum complex species (Fg complex) strains collected from Kyushu region, Japan within two successive years. Fusarium head blight (FHB) pathogen populations from seed that was harvested from Fukuoka and Nagasaki Prefectures were isolated before planting in a 500-m2 field in Kumamoto prefecture, we named the populations based on the year they were planted: Fukuoka population (02WSC) and Nagasaki population (03WSC) “WSC” stands for wheat seed. The harvested pathogen population from the heads were divided into two categories depending on the year of harvest; 2003(03W) and 2004(04W) group,“W” refers to wheat head. The objective of this study was to determine the relationship between seed and head pathogen populations based on VNTR haplotype data.
Keywordspathogen populations Fusarium graminerum complex species
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bezuidenhout, S.C., Gelderblom, W.C.A., Gorst-Allman, C.P., Horak, R.M., Marasas, W.F.O., Spiteller, G., Vleggaar, R. 1988. Structure elucidation of the fumonisins, mycotoxins from Fusarium moniliforme. Chemical Communications 743–745.Google Scholar
- Brown, D.W., Cheung, F., Proctor, R.H, Butchko, R.A.E, Zheng, L., Lee, Y., Utterback, T., Smith, S., Feldblyum, T., Glenn, A.E., Plattner, R.D., Kendra, D.F., Town, D.D., Whitelaw, C.A. 2005. Comparative analysis of 87,000 expressed sequence tags from the fumonisin-producing fungus Fusarium verticillioides. Fungal Genet. Biol. 42:848–861.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Desjardins, A.E. 2006. Fusarium, Mycotoxins, Chemistry, Genet.Biol.. APS, St Paul, USA 259.Google Scholar
- López-Errasquín, E., Vázquez, C., Jiménez, M., González-Jaén, T. 2007. Real-Time RT-PCR assay to quantify the expression of fum1 and fum19 genes from the fumonisin-producing Fusarium verticillioides. Fungal Genet. Biol. 68:312–317.Google Scholar
- Marasas, W.F.O., Miller, J.D., Riley, R.T., Visconti, A. 2002. Fumonisins - occurrence, toxicology, metabolism and risk assessment. In Fusarium Paul E. Nelson Memorial Symposium ed by B. A. Summerell, J. F. Leslie, D Backhouse, W. L. Bryden, L. W. Burgess. APS Press St Paul, Minnesota, pp. 332–359.Google Scholar
- Nelson, P.E., Touson, T.A., Marasas, W.F.O. 1983. Fusarium species. An Illustrated Manual for Identification. London: The Pennsylvania State University Press.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.