Production of a New Wheat Cultivar with a Different 1B.1R Translocation with Resistance to Powdery Mildew and Stripe Rust
Wheat-rye 1BL.1RS translocations have been widely used in wheat breeding programs. A 1BL.1RS translocation wheat line, 91S-23, was developed from a 1R monosomic addition of the rye (Secale cereale) inbred line L155 into wheat (Triticum aestivum) MY11. A new commercial wheat cultivar, CN18, which also contained the 1BL.1RS translocation, was derived from the cross MY11 × 91S-23. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) indicated that the rye centromere was eliminated from the 1BL.1RS chromosomes of CN18 but not from 91S-23. Based on the 1RS source and the centromeric structure of the translocation chromosome, CN18 qualifies as a new wheat cultivar possessing a 1BL.1RS translocation. CN18 displayed high yield performance and resistance to powdery mildew and stripe rust, whereas 91S-23 was susceptible to these diseases. The present study provides a new 1RS resource for wheat improvement.
Keywords1BL.1RS translocation centromere new wheat cultivar variation of 1RS
- Li, Y.W., Li, Z.S., Jia, X. 2002. Meiotic behavior of 1BL.1RS translocation chromosome and alien chromosome in two tri-general hybrids. Acta Botan. Sin. 44:821–826.Google Scholar
- Molnár-Láng, M., Kőszegi, B., Linc, G., Sutka, J. 1996. Búza (Triticum aestivum L.)/Triticum timopheevii Zhuk., addíció, szubsztitúció és búza/rozs transzlokáció kimutatása C-sávozással és in situ hibridizációval [Detection of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)/Triticum timopheevii Zhuk. addition and substitution and wheat/rye translocation by C-banding and in situ hybridization]. Növénytermelés 45:237–245.Google Scholar
- Schlegel, R., Meinel, A. 1994. A quantitative trait locus (QTL) on chromosome arm 1RS of rye and its effect on yield performance of hexaploid wheats. Cereal Res. Comm. 22:7–13.Google Scholar
- Schlegel, R. 1997. Current list of wheats with rye introgression of homoelogous group 1, 2nd update. Wheat Inf. Serv. 84:64–69.Google Scholar
- Zhou, Y., He, Z.H., Zhang, G.S., Xia, L.Q., Chen, X.M., Gao, Y.C., Jing, Z.B., Yu, G.J. 2004. Utilization of 1BL/1RS translocation in wheat breeding in China. Acta Agron. Sin. 30:531–535.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.