Identification and Localization of Molecular Markers Linked to the Lr52 Leaf Rust Resistance Gene of Wheat
Growing resistant wheat cultivars is considered to be an efficient and environmentally safe approach in reducing damage caused by leaf rust disease. Among the numerous leaf rust resistance genes of wheat, Lr52 is a very effective one with a broad spectrum resistance. The objective of this study was to identify and map molecular markers closely linked to the Lr52 resistance gene. Out of 280 RAPD, 44 SSR and 8 STS markers tested, three showed close linkage to the Lr52. In our study, one SSR marker (Xwmc149) showed a close linkage (11.3 cM) to the Lr52 gene. Another SSR (Xgwm234) and an STS (Xtxw200) markers, having close linkage to a recently identified leaf rust resistance gene found in PI 289824, also showed a close linkage (7.2 and 3.6 cM, respectively) to the Lr52. Matchings in the mapping distances of these markers linked to these resistance genes still remain open the possibility that the gene found in PI 289824 is identical to the Lr52, or simply this locate very close to it.
Keywordsgene mapping LrW microsatellite Puccinia triticina RAPD SSR STS Triticum aestivum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Gupta, K., Balyan, S., Edwards, J., Isaac, P., Korzun, V., Röder, M.S., Gautier, M.F., Joudrier, P., Schlatter, R., Dubcovsky, J., De La Pena, C., Khairallah, M., Penner, G., Hayden, J., Sharp, P., Keller, B., Wang, C., Hardouin, P., Jack, P., Leroy, P. 2002. Genetic mapping of 66 new microsatellite (SSR) loci in bread wheat. Theor. Appl. Genet. 105:413–422.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McIntosh, R.A., Yamazaki, Y., Devos, K.M., Dubcovsky, J., Rogers, W.J., Appels, R. 2003. Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat. https://doi.org/wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/wgc/2003/
- McIntosh, R.A., Devos, K.M., Dubcovsky, J., Rogers, W.J., Morris, C.F., Appels, R., Somers, D.J., Anderson, D.J. 2007. V. Catalogue of gene symbols for wheat: 2007 supplement. https://doi.org/wheat.pw.usda.gov/ggpages/awn/53/Textfile/WGC.html
- Sayre, K.D., Singh, R.P., Huerta-Espino, J., Rajaram, S. 1998. Genetic progress in reducing losses to leaf rust in CIMMYT-derived Mexican spring wheat cultivars. Grop Science 38:654–659.Google Scholar
- Stakman, E.C., Stewart, D.M., Loegering, W.Q. 1962. Identification of physiologic races of Puccinia graminis var. tritici. Agricultural Research Service E617. (United States Department of Agriculture: Washington D.C.)Google Scholar