Evaluation of corn hybrids for tolerance to corn rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) larval feeding
The western corn rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte (WCR)) is a major pest of corn in USA. The pest arrived in Croatia in 1995, and today over 250.000 ha are infested. Insecticides are regularly used to control WCR, but the cost is high, can pose environmental risks, and may become ineffective due to resistance. Growing corn that is resistant to corn rootworms would be a valuable alternative to insecticides. Nine Croatian (Institute of Agriculture, Osijek) and two Pioneer Hi-Bred Int. Inc. (Johnston, Iowa, USA) commercial corn hybrids were evaluated for WCR resistance at two locations using complete randomized block design with four replications. One location was in east Croatia (Osijek) and one was in the USA (Iowa). The hybrids’ tolerance to larval feeding was rated using root injury, root regrowth and root size. Root injury was rated using the Node-Injury Scale 0–3 and evaluation of root size and root regrowth were done by scale 1–6. In an analysis of variance combined across locations, root injury didn’t show any significantly differences among hybrids, but root regrowth and root size were significantly different.
Key wordswestern corn rootworm root node injury root size root regrowth corn hybrids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- BACA, F. (1994): Novi clan stetne entomofaune u Jugoslaviji Diabrotica virgifra virgifera LeConte (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae). Zastita bilja, Vol. 45(2), 125–131.Google Scholar
- HIBBARD, B.E., DARRAH, L.L., BARRY, B.D. (1999): Combining ability of resistance leads and identification of a new resistance source for western corn rootworm (Coleoptera: Chrysomelidae) larvae in corn. Maydica 44: 133–139.Google Scholar
- IGRC-BARCIC, J., BAŽOK, R. (2004): Current status and results of the monitoring of western corn rootworm in 2003 in Croatia. IWGO Newsletter, vol. XXV, No. 1: 12–13.Google Scholar
- IVEZIC, M., RASPUDIC, E., DZOIC, D., BRMEZ, M. (2001): Rezultati proucavanja napada kukuruzne zlatice (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) na podrucju Gunje u 1999. godini. (The results of investigation of WCR attack on the area of Gunja in 1999). Poljoprivreda, Vol. 6., broj 2:44–47.Google Scholar
- METCALF, R.I. (1986): Foreword. pp. VII–XV, In: J.I. Krysan and A.T. Miller (eds.), Methods for the study of pest Diabrotica. Springer-Verlag, New York.Google Scholar
- NOWATZKI, T., OLESON J., TOLLEFSON J. (2000): Evaluating insecticides for corn rootworm larval control using a new rating scale, pp. 113–120. In Proceedings, The 12 th Annual Integrated Crop Management Conference, 29–30 November 2000. Iowa State University, Ames, Iowa.Google Scholar
- OLESON, J.D. & TOLLEFSON J.J. (2000): A new Iowa scale for rating corn rootworm (Diabrotica virgifera virgifera LeConte) larval injury. IWGO Abstracts. 7 suth International IWGO-Workshop, Stuttgart 2000-11-16/17: 9.Google Scholar
- TOLLEFSON, J.J. (1998): Rootworm area wide management program in Iowa. J. Agric. Entomology 15: 351–357.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.