Genetic Analysis of Differences in Duration Vernalization Requirement of Winter Bread Wheat
Duration of vernalization requirement in various winter wheat cultivars and its inheritance in F1 and F2 have been studied after crossing of contrast genotypes. Partial dominance of shorter requirement has been revealed in F1 hybrids. Segregations in F2 populations have shown the action of two non-allelic genes of different expression. Revealed genes are proposed to designate as Vrd according to the first letters of term “vernalization requirement duration”. In conformity with this symbol the haploid genotypes of investigated cultivars are: Vrd1 vrd2 — Norin 1 and Olvia; vrd1 Vrd2 — Chayka; vrd1 vrd2 — Mironovskaya 808 and Eritrospermum 604.
Key wordsTriticum aestivum winter type vernalization requirement duration inheritance genes and genotypes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bulavka, N.V. 1989. Inheritance of vernalization period duration in various winter bread wheat cultivars. Cytologia i genetika. 23, 6: 37–40. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Dolgushin, D.A. 1933. Global wheat collection against a vernalization background, M.Syelhozgiz: 110 pp. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Fayt V.I., Martynuyk V.R. 2002. Photoperiod sensitivity and vernalization requirement of winter bread wheat varieties bred in PBGI. Zbornik naukovyh praz’ BGI-NC SGSR. 2 (42): 30–36. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Goncharov N.P. 2004. Response to vernalization in wheat: its quantitative or qualitative nature. Cereal Research Communications. 32, 3: 323–330.Google Scholar
- Gotoh, T. 1975. Variation in the vernalization requirements in winter wheat cultivars. Proceedings of the 2nd International Wheat Conference. Zagreb: 292–297.Google Scholar
- Maystrenko, O.I. 1980. Cytogenetic study of the growth habit and ear-emergence time in wheat (Triticum aestivum). Proceedings of the XIV International Congress of Genetics. Moskow. 1, 2: 267–282.Google Scholar
- Rokickiy P.F. 1973. Biological statistics. Minsk. Vysheyshaya shkola: 320 pp. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Stelmakh, A.F. 1987b. Inheritance and genetic role of differences in growth habit and rate of development in bread wheat. Thesis for Doctor of Biology. Odessa. 412 pp. (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Urazaliyev R.A., Absattarova A.S. 2004. Genetic control of growth habit in Khazahstan cultivars and CIMMYT stocks of wheat. Abstr. of 3rd Russia VOGIS Congress: “Genetics in 21st Century”. M. 1: 137. (In Russian).Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.