Heat stress in relation to protein redox status and quality traits of durum wheat
In this study elevated temperature effects on protein quality parameters and in particular on protein sulfhydryl-disulfide contents were assessed. Four Italian durum wheat cultivars which differed for the qualitative trait changes produced by heat stress were employed. During grain filling two different thermal regimes were imposed on the plants grown in a typical area of durum wheat cultivation (Southern Italy). Results confirmed significant effects of high temperatures on the quality of products in the durum wheat chain and indicated that elevated temperatures determined changes on protein redox status, particularly evident on S-S bond content. For most of the examined traits significant cultivar x treatment interactions were also evidenced.
Key wordsdurum wheat high temperature protein sulfhydryl-disulfide status quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Association of Cereal Chemists. 1969. Approved Methods. Method 38-12. AACC, St. Paul, Mn.Google Scholar
- American Association of Cereal Chemists. 1969. Approved Methods. Method 36–70. AACC.St. Paul, Mn.Google Scholar
- Blumenthal C., Wrigley C.W., Batey I.L., and Barlow E.W.R. 1994. The heat-shock response relevant to molecular and structural changes in wheat yield and quality. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 21: 901–909.Google Scholar
- Blumenthal C., Bekes F., Gras P.W., Barlow E.W.R. and Wrigley C.W. 1995. Identification of wheat genotypes tolerant to the effects of heat stress on grain quality. Cereal Chem. 72: 539–544.Google Scholar
- Ciaffi M., Margiotta B., Colaprico G., De Stefanis E., Sgrulletta D., and Lafiandra D. 1995. Effect of high temperatures during grain filling on the amount of insoluble proteins in durum wheat. J. Genet. & Breed. 49: 285–296.Google Scholar
- Corbellini M., Canevar M.G., Mazza L., Ciaffi M., Lafiandra D. and Borghi B. 1997. Effect of the duration and intensity of heat shock during grain filling on dry matter and protein accumulation, technological quality and protein composition in bread and durum wheat. Aust. J. Plant Physiol. 24: 245–260.Google Scholar
- D’Egidio M.G., De Stefanis E., Fortini S., Galterio G., Nardi S., Sgrulletta D., and Bozzini A. 1982. Standardization of cooking quality analysis in macaroni and pasta products. Cereal Foods World 27: 367–368.Google Scholar
- De Stefanis E., Sgrulletta D., Corbellini M., Di Fonzo N., Ronga G. 1998. Accumulation of acetic acid-soluble and insoluble proteins in grain of T. durum cultivars grown under heat stress conditions. J. Genet. & Breed. 52: 343–352.Google Scholar
- De Stefanis E., Sgrulletta D. 1999. NADP-tioredoxina reduttasi e sue implicazioni con la qualità del frumento. Proceedings of Meeting “Materie prime transgeniche, sicurezza alimentare e controllo qualità nell’industria cerealicola”, Campobasso (Italy) October 7–8, 1999: 143–149.Google Scholar
- De Stefanis E., Sgrulletta D., De Vita P., Ronga G. 2000. Effetto delle alte temperature durante il “grain filling” sulle caratteristiche tecnologiche e qualitative del frumento duro. Proceedings of Meeting “Prospettive di una moderna cerealicoltura alle porte del terzo millennio”, Foggia (Italy) April 30-2 May, 1998: 167–178.Google Scholar
- De Stefanis E., Sgrulletta D., De Vita P., Pucciarmati S. 2002. Genetic variability to the effects of heat stress during grain filling on durum wheat quality. Cereal Res. Comm. 30: 117–124.Google Scholar
- Dupuis B., Bushuk W. and Sapirstein H.D. 1996. Characterization of acid soluble and insoluble fractions of glutenin of bread wheat. Cereal Chem. 73: 131–135.Google Scholar
- International Association for Cereal Chemistry. 1986. Standard Method of the ICC. Method 121.Google Scholar
- Keck-Gassenmeier B. and Wieser H. 1996. Disulfide bonds in acetic acid soluble and insoluble glutenin fractions. Proceedings of the 6th International Gluten Workshop, Sidney September 1–6, 1996: 145–148.Google Scholar
- Naeem H.A. and Mac Ritchie F. 2003. Heat stress effects on wheat proteins during grain development.Google Scholar
- Proceedings of the tenth International Wheat Genetics Symposium, Paestum (Italy) September 1–6, 2003: 455–458.Google Scholar
- Shi Y.C., Seib P.A. and Bernardin J.E. 1994. Effects of temperature during grain-filling on starches from six wheat cultivars. Cereal Chem. 71: 369–383.Google Scholar
- UNI (Ente Nazionale Italiano di Unificazione) 1994. Cereali: determinazione della massa per ettolitro o peso ettolitrico. Metodo 10281: 1–9.Google Scholar
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.